Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP made a mistake when he wrecked it. In this world we get to pay for our mistakes.
I've disassembled a TT that Mother Nature flipped. That trailer is junk. The doors will not close properly if at all. The cabinets are likely loose and or skewed. The roof will leak in places that you can't find because the AC and vent openings are no longer true. The wall are set down on the floor during production so they are all screwy. The windows will leak. On and on..................
It also looks like poop, and if you are married you will never hear the end of it anyway so don't make it worse.
Not only did the trailer tip over the pics appeared to show that it slid into a curb as well.
The insurance settlement appears to be very fair, go shopping and get on with your life.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good grief...why do we need to repeat the monster picture to make a reply where we have to scroll to read replies. Maybe a mod can downsize picture per forum size specs.
Anyways I'm with others. If your handy with repair OE build methods in the walls/roof then get'r done. You don't need our OK if its what your wanting to do.
Good luck and have fun

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Your money, your decision, but everyone here thinks it is a HUGE mistake. Good luck.

I don't see where everyone here thinks it is a HUGE mistake????

The way I see it, you are getting a project trailer for $6k give or take that has all new components and needs some amount of work which you have evaluated. You know what you are getting so those blemishes just need to be acceptable and not bother you down the road.

The one thing that would be on my radar is the door, A door that pops open means that things are out of square. A door that pops open out of the blue can be very frustrating and tough to fix.

If you can get to it, open the hard door and just have the screen door closed. Put one rear jack down at a time, torqueing the frame a bit. If the screen pops open you may be more out of square than you think.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a project with an unknown amount of work, go for it!

If you want to go camping, buy a new TT.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. So much wild guessing going on. Or maybe all these naysayers have secretly gone and looked at it.
First, I would take it on a short trip to see how it rides. You can paint stripes on the tires to see if is way out of alignment or have it checked by a trailer shop.
If most everything works, then go for it and go camping.
As said, there are a lot of campers out there that look worse that manage to get on the road.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question. Did the adjuster give you any insight as to why the trailer is deemed a total loss? What did they observe about the frame or structure that led them to that conclusion?

Was the tongue twisted off the frame? I don't see it attached to the trailer in your photo.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like the tongue is gone. That's enough for me to say "pass". I believe when an insurance company totals something is because it costs more to fix than it's worth. Unless you can do the repairs and save all the labor costs I would take the money and run. That's just me.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Question. Did the adjuster give you any insight as to why the trailer is deemed a total loss? What did they observe about the frame or structure that led them to that conclusion?

Was the tongue twisted off the frame? I don't see it attached to the trailer in your photo.

[image]

[image]

Here's the picture of the tongue.
There's no detail damage from the adjuster. I doubt they actually went to the towyard and did the inspection. The adjuster only mentioned to me they call the forest river and got a conclusion it's too much to fix and should be totaled.
I suspect the whole fiber glass wall needs to be replaced which means a lot of work and cost. But I can live with that crack on the wall.

* This post was edited 06/09/21 11:06am by protel *

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

Wow. So much wild guessing going on. Or maybe all these naysayers have secretly gone and looked at it.
First, I would take it on a short trip to see how it rides. You can paint stripes on the tires to see if is way out of alignment or have it checked by a trailer shop.
If most everything works, then go for it and go camping.
As said, there are a lot of campers out there that look worse that manage to get on the road.

I would love to do that but the adjuster told me I either buy it back or that TT stays in tow yard. I have no permission to use it now.

protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The OP made a mistake when he wrecked it. In this world we get to pay for our mistakes.
I've disassembled a TT that Mother Nature flipped. That trailer is junk. The doors will not close properly if at all. The cabinets are likely loose and or skewed. The roof will leak in places that you can't find because the AC and vent openings are no longer true. The wall are set down on the floor during production so they are all screwy. The windows will leak. On and on..................
It also looks like poop, and if you are married you will never hear the end of it anyway so don't make it worse.
Not only did the trailer tip over the pics appeared to show that it slid into a curb as well.
The insurance settlement appears to be very fair, go shopping and get on with your life.

My TT's door still open and close just fine, only some scrtches at the bottom frame. I did went in and check everything, refrigerator, water pump, furnance, gas stove, all the lights and ports still working fine, none of the cabnit is loose.

That's why I am so tempting to buy it back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.