cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pagosa Springs CO and Angel Fire NM... Too much fun!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our best friends finally pulled the trigger on their first RV, a 2021 gorgeous Lance 1685 TT with all of the bells and whistles which he tows very nicely with his Chevy Colorado. To make their first outing special I managed to get us booked into the Pagosa Riverside Campground in Pagosa Springs right on the San Juan River at 7,150' {one of our favorite spots} for 3 nights. Upon arrival the first thing we all wanted to do was book and extra night.

The staff there worked miracles getting us in on short notice and extending our stay even getting us side by side right on the pond for Thursday night. While we did have to move a couple of times it was great practice for my friends first trip. Setting up/down and moving a couple of extra times was just great practice with the new rig. cannot say enough nice things about Pagosa Riverside CG as the staff and amenities are fantastic and the scenery is off of the proverbial chart

They drove over from Angel Fire NM {265 miles} and we came up {in our 24'Class C} from Payson AZ {420 miles} all arriving on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning we went river rafting on the San Juan which is running fast and cold... as in 40 degrees and yes, we all got soaked on the 90 minute run. Later in the summer the river will be down a lot but right now is running at a Class 3 level which was enough to be a lot of fun for all of us.

Afternoon thunderstorms necessitated canceling a planned afternoon side trip to "The Springs" which is a resort right on the river in the center of town. It features about two dozen+ individual hot tubs, all at differing temperatures along with larger swimming pools nicely warmed. They offer food and drinks that round out what is always a spectacular day {we had all been there before} so we will return on our next visit to PRC.

If you get to Pagosa Springs there are lots of fun adventures, one of our favorites is a drive up and over Wolf Creek Pass and on to the small mining town of Creed near the headwaters of the Rio Grande and enjoy lunch at Kips Grill {there is one in Pagosa Springs as well}. UTV/ATV and horseback rides are another source of entertainment and the entire area is awesome. A few miles south of town is a great wildlife park with just about every type of critter the Rockies are home to. All of the animals there have been rescued and it is not your typical zoo.

Friday morning we packed up and caravanned back to their place in Angel Fire {where he'd put in a custom RV site for me 5 years ago complete with 30 amps and water on his 2.5 ac . We were returning for our 19th visit to their place {over the last 5+ years} and enjoyed more spectacular PM thunderstorms from his deck at 9,000' {complete with a nice not tub}.

Saturday morning he and I took his Rzr SXS up through and over one of the passes between Taos and Angel Fire topping out at nearly 11,000'. On Sunday we made our obligatory pilgrimage up to Red River and Shotgun Willies for the Smoked brisket breakfast burritos smothered in Hatch Green Chile Sauce... and yes, they are to die for! :S

Monday morning we headed back the 485 miles to Payson and at nearly 8 hours it was a long but mostly boring ride. The forecast is calling for triple digit temps next Sunday - Tuesday even here in Payson at 5,000'. So this morning went on line and booked those three nights at the Rainbow CG at Big Lake {at 9,200"}. I'll be towing the cargo trailer with my Can Am Spyder aboard for a lot of fine paved road riding around Geer, Springerville and out the Devil's highway to and through Alpine. The CG is a little over 2 hours from home so it will be an easy trip.

Our 24' Nexus C and his Lance are at the center of this pic:

Here is the view from the top of the pass on our Rzr ride:

Not us but another group with the same outfitter/guide later in the day:

:B :B :B
4 REPLIES 4

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing and hearing about things like this.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
Much water flowing by the Springs? Likely not. We body surfed on the river a few years back. What a riot!

The flow was pretty good, a lot of 3 and 4' drops with water flying everywhere but as noted... it was 40 degrees. Most of the rapids were rated as Class 3.

:C

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Much water flowing by the Springs? Likely not. We body surfed on the river a few years back. What a riot!

dedmiston
Sounds like a great trip.

We stayed with friends at their private camp outside of Angel Fire a few years ago.

When I asked them how they scored such premium property, they said "It's been in the family for a while... you know... Spanish land grant."

Yeah, that's "a while".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230