Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front end noise at super slow speeds

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas
Recently noticed a high pitch squeal noise coming from front end that is only noticeable at VERY slow speeds. Like <7mph. Sounds like a continuous break squeal but pushing or releasing breaks makes no difference. Also seems much worse (when it happens) when turning even if slightly turning.
The way I found it was picking up my daughter after school. After picking her up you have to slowly wrap around the back of the parking lot, so you can imagine that type speed. I just heard a constant squeak the whole time I had the large left turn going. Once speeding up I could no longer hear it. That was 2 weeks ago. I have been able to reproduce only 3 times since then all in similar situations.
Also when I have to make a sharp left turn I sometimes hear a small pop when the wheels are fully turned.
Before I take it in to be looked at I am curious to hear your thoughts. Anything that can not be easily reproduced I find the dealer says no problem found, but if I tell them specifically to look at "x,y,z" they will. I am 3k miles and one month within warranty so I want to get it taken care of.
Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or sand / dirt between the rotor and pad.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Could also be a small stone lodged between the brake rotor and the dust shield
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Disc brake pads have a metal gauge that will squeal when the friction material wears down to that point...also known as 'brake squealers'. They are to warn you to have the pads replaced (only in pairs for left & right) before the pad backing plate starts to hit the brake disc, which can be way more expensive in both parts and labor.

Or, something else...like a serpentine belt idler bearing going bad, but not likely on a 2018...unless you have tons of miles on it.

Also, think the mechanic you took it to is worthless if they can't ID a brake pad wear squealer.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Pull a front wheel off and check to see how worn the brake pads are. Most have a small metal peice that will touch the rotor giving a constant noise. May not be the problem but is easy to check. 4 wheel drive?

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Pull a front wheel off and check to see how worn the brake pads are. Most have a small metal peice that will touch the rotor giving a constant noise. May not be the problem but is easy to check. 4 wheel drive?

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, my husband is a mechanic & he thinks your squeal noise could be dust shield contacting the brake rotor, did you recently have tires rotated or tires off? If only 33,000 miles do not think brake pads or wheel bearing. The pop noise could be turning the wheel to far. Well hope that helps, good luck at the dealer.