cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Level

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having issues with our leveling system and started to wonder what others use for a level. Do you use a phone app? Carry a carpenters level? How long? Where do you place it? Counter, floor, dash?

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
24 REPLIES 24

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a phone app. Level Mate Pro. You can google it. I used all sorts of levels and they all worked but it was time consuming and I am a bit particular. Put in the Level Mate Pro and then leveled the trailer, and set the information into the app. Now, I can see just how much off level from side to side, down to the 1/2 inch. Place the levelers and drive up on them. Disconnect the trailer and use the app to level it from front to back. Actually works pretty slick. It is not perfect but it is an improvement from reading the bubbles.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

dedmiston
No matter how level you get your rig, the eggs still slide to the back of the skillet when you cook. It's just a cruel fact of life.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
i use a small, round bubble level but after 35-years my rear end serves as a pretty good level indicator. you're close enough to level if humans are comfy and don't roll out of bed.

Small bubble level here too. I can usually get within 1/2 a bubble just by eye. I also open the fridge and see if the door stays put. If itโ€™s off much it swings open or shut by itself which is annoying.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Used an actual level two times. First time when first I got the 5th wheel I put the level on the counter and leveled the trailer left to right and front to back. Then I applied the stick on levels on the drivers side front corner. One on the front (left to right) and one on the side (front to back). I had to do it again about 6 years later when the levels started to wear out and got hard to see.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use mounted levels. But degrees off don't matter to me. I set the trailer level, mounted the one on front. Then I added leveling blocks under wheels, and marked where the ball was on 1, 2, or 3 blocks, so know how tall to build the stack.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old school (as in low technology) here. I have one of these graduated "inclinometers" attached to front TT frame (next to the LP tanks) and use leveling boards under the tires to obtain "zero bubble".

I then place a small carpenter's level on the floor and crank the trailer jack to finish the job.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
K Charles wrote:
If it looks level and feels level, it's level enough.

Yep. The issue with automatic levelers is that it may be level from where the level control sits. But RV frames can twist while they level, making one area level and another maybe not. I can "tell" when my rig is level and sometimes it's different than what the auto leveler says. I usually spend a minute or 2 manually tweaking it after the auto level is done. I know when it's level.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i use a small, round bubble level but after 35-years my rear end serves as a pretty good level indicator. you're close enough to level if humans are comfy and don't roll out of bed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dedmiston
My auto-levelers typically do the trick, but if out site (usually boondocks) is too far out of level and I need to do it manually, I use a torpedo level in the front cargo hold while I'm manually running the controls.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I use a carpenter's level on the floor, because the floor is the most convenient place to check on my motorhome. The level I have is far longer than it needs to be for the service, simply because I don't see any reason to replace a perfectly fine level. A 6" or 1' long one would be perfectly adequate.

Unless your fridge or whatever is wildly off-kilter compared to other things in the RV, it makes little difference what horizontal surface you use. They may not all be level with each other, but they won't be all that far off. If the eggs don't puddle in one corner of the frypan, and the shower drains properly, and your coffee isn't all slanty in the cup when you put it down on the counter, you're plenty level for the fridge.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Carpenters level on the kitchen island.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I spend 2-3 hours obsessing over it

Friends wife took a trip without him. Her camp spot was pointed downhill. She pulled in forward, put the leveling ramps under the rear tires and was happy. I offered to help, she declined. Don't no matter to me.
Worst part is that now I have that camper's fridge in my garage. Somehow it still works.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a pair of those little Eagle stick on levels, one on the road side front corner and the second just around the corner on the front. I just use them to verify that my auto level zero point hasn't changed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
A 2' level on the floor by the door works for front to back.
A 2' level on the exterior wall works for side to side.