cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stay pluged in or not

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my RV on 50 amp when I am home. sometimes for 3 to 4 months. How many of you do this?
19 REPLIES 19

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Not any more. Fries the batteries if they're not being used. Any time in storage a week or more I disconnect and hook up the Noco maintainer.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I was instructed, if not using, plug in a few days of a week a month or you will boil your batteries, if using of course keep plugged in.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess in America we all think differantly but the only time I plug mine in is to recharge the batteries. I realize that most batteries die due to sulfation but keeping them plugged in 24/7 means the battery plates are always shedding lead due to the electrical charge and the chemical reaction inside. I dry camp 99% of the time so I only recharge once I get home usually after a week and my batteries are about 50-60% SOC. If not camping I let them self discharge to 80% SOC then recharge. Over winter I fully charge in November and recharge in April. My house batteries are 14 years now and still working fine. I do equalize and desulfate several times a year which helps to extend battery life.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Whether in the barn or outside, our coach has been plugged in when not actually traveling for 16 years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
craig7h wrote:
Always plugged in, and in summer frig running also 24/7.

x2

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last 2 rigs both having smart charging technology are always plugged in while stored in our side yards, just check water periodically topping off a couple times a year. We keep our 4 door RV fridge running during the active RV season, uses roughly 300 watts which adds $20 electric bill monthly.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:

Same for me. No problems with battery water levels.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 4 different class A's and have always kept them plugged into a 50 amp service when at home. If you have a smart charger your batteries will just be maintained on a float charge. My current batteries are AGM so that makes life a bit easier.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Never when not in use. 30 watt solar keeps batteries topped off.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I found that keeping my 50A plugged in all the time really drove up my electric costs... and I discovered that my solar was doing more than enough to keep things charged, so, unplugged... check things occasionally, of course, but now, at lower cost

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
when i store it at home it's plugged in 24/7. when we're snowbirding jn AZ it's plugged in 24/7 for months. what's your issue, OP?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We're fulltime RV'ers, and the only time we're not plugged in to shorepower is when we're underway between campsites. Even then we often have the generator running to power the A/C units and/or my wife's medical equipment. We used to boondock fairly often, but my wife's medical issues pretty much ended that except for one spot where we can keep the generator running 24/7 if needed without annoying anyone.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Bought trailer new in Oct 2013. Installed 1 24 series for generator starting and 2 series 29 batteries for house use. The trailer has been plugged in everyday since new unless camping without power ( probably 12 to 20 days per year). I check water in batteries once a year. All 3 still going strong. With todays technology, overcharged batteries should not be an issue.