cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to change oil

salem
Explorer
Explorer
My truck (2016 Chevy diesel) gives me a percentage of oil usage left. At what percentage do you fellas normally change your oil? I normally will let mine get to around 12%-15%. Just curious if you change yours more frequently.
77 REPLIES 77

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most, but not all vehicles with oil change monitors is strictly based on usage. There are some vehicles that measure solids in solution.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol, now some wish OLMs were more comprehensive?
I wish cars were cheaper and didn't come with 100 different 21st century features and functions. Maybe I'm not old enough to need to rely on an oil life minder or things of the like...
I still write down all the services and repairs in the back of the owners manual. Or in the case of new vehicles that have deleted the blank pages, on a piece of paper.
My new Chevy half ton also tells brake pad life and air filter life.
I know the air-filter life monitor is not accurate. It's down to under 70% at last check, just under 7,000 miles on the truck.
Truck hasn't seen a spec of dust, nor winter conditions, and precious few bugs yet. Around here, air filters last dang near forever if your vehicle doesn't suck in rain or road spray.

In the 10 years we've now lived in the Seattle area, my air filter bill has been cut by about 90%!
$20 says the Cheeebie dealer or zippy lube tells me I need an air filter around 20k miles!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
with the new oil minders that adjust the oil life depening on how you have been driving I just go by when it tells me to change it. I do run the rotella T6 that is one of the the extream duty recomended oils and the only time I will change it kind of early is if it comes up "change soon" and I have a longer trip coming up where it would be a pain to change it during. there is no count down on mine, it goes from "oil ok" to "shnge soon" to "change now". I wish it had the % remaining also then I could guage when to change it before a upcoming trip if it is getting close anyways.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
being a 80 year old guy I'm old school where engine oil changes are concerned.
I follow the vehicle mfg recommendations with all my cars/trucks.

My '03 Dodge/Cummins 305/555 HO has the 7500/15000 oil change schedule. With 356k miles on the odo. I use Rotella 15w-40 dino/Fleetguard filters.
The last oil sample at 350k miles says all is well and keep doin' what your doin'.

At the sound of the DIC "gong" on my gazz cars/trucks I change oil and oil filters.
I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and lots of miles.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Thermoguy wrote:
By the way, the dealer that I bought it from

Sunset?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
bob213 wrote:
I have a 2005 Duramax as well. It only has 44,000 miles so if I waited for the dash indicator I would have some pretty old oil before I changed it. We have expensive engines, so $35 a year seems like cheap insurance. I change mine at the start of every camping season unless I make a cross country trip and really do a lot of miles.(8000 plus).

$35 per year? Ha I don't think so

My last duramax oil change: $10 for a AC delco filter, $43 for 10 quarts of Rotella T-6 full synthetic after mail in rebate.

$53. Using regular rotella t4 and watching for rebates/sales and I can see getting to down to the $30 range
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
bob213 wrote:
I have a 2005 Duramax as well. It only has 44,000 miles so if I waited for the dash indicator I would have some pretty old oil before I changed it. We have expensive engines, so $35 a year seems like cheap insurance. I change mine at the start of every camping season unless I make a cross country trip and really do a lot of miles.(8000 plus).

Who cares about the cost of the oil change?
More importantly, when is that cream puff LLY Dirtymax going up for sale and can I have first crack at it??

PS, if you swap the atf to Transynd now, Iโ€™ll throw an extra grand on top of the sale price!

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a saying. Sometimes itโ€™s best to pizz with the pecker ya Gotz.

You must get it on your pants often .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a saying. Sometimes itโ€™s best to pizz with the pecker ya Gotz.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This thread gets funnier by the day!

They haven't even got into the debate about socket size for the front fuel filter here yet , whether you should go 28MM or 1*1/8" :B

1-1/8" is way too loose, let the debate start here. ๐Ÿ˜›

OK will bite.....NOT HARDLY. 1-1/8" = 28.575mm

I have removed three filter caps that were from the factory that were "Gorilla Tight" with a 1-1/8" six pt socket and many changes after that with ZERO damage to the cap.

Ron ,you didn't disappoint ,you bit . :B

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Cross contaminating when they are side by side, doesn't require you to be gifted, just a big bowl of dumass in the morning"

That and high hitching a B&W puts you in a "Special" category.

:B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, the 6.7 rams back in 2014 were rated 500 hr oci according to Cummins.
Based on our extreme conditions they lowered to 400 hours. (Idling in the Arctic during the winter).
Only know this because our maintenance subcontractor insisted on 300hour OCIs on engines that were seeing 2000- 3000 hours avg per work season and they were charging me per service.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This thread gets funnier by the day!

They haven't even got into the debate about socket size for the front fuel filter here yet , whether you should go 28MM or 1*1/8" :B

1-1/8" is way too loose, let the debate start here. ๐Ÿ˜›

Yup, but some insist its good enough .

Iโ€™ve only owned the 4th Gen for less than a year. Donโ€™t own a 28mm socket and have changed the fuel filter once so you can guess my answer!
Btw, anyone know how to magically make a socket 1/2 size smaller?
Clue, it involves a beer can but has nothing to do with drinking unless you need the can and itโ€™s still fullโ€ฆ.

Edit : can not fan. Have some echo weed whipper attachments that are just a hair to small to fit tightly in the Stihl powerhead. Couple wraps of a strip of beer can works great. Was able to shim a spin bearing race on an old trailer with a strip of beer can too. Made it through the trip and actually never took it apart again. That one involved beer can and epoxy. Belt and suspenders, lol