cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teach me about solar

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recommend a book or website about solar panels. Mostly theory and practical application is my goal.
How and why they work.
Size of panels, controllers, batteries etc to use for a motion detector lights and/or lights for a remote shed.
Thanks guys
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
7 REPLIES 7

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If all you need is lights and motion detector lights, vast majority of the posts in that Forum Members Installations won't help you. Not trying to depreciate other people achievements - I've designed and built my solar largely on recommendations of this forum - but you need a relatively small system, perhaps 200-300W array and 100-200 AH battery bank.

Besides, shed roof is not an RV roof, more options for mounting panels and pulling wires. You don't even have to mount it on the roof, a frame of 2x4's placed on the ground out of shade will do. Start with the link in the Pianotuna post maybe. If you ever did any electrical work in your shed, solar won't be a problem.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah.. skip my post. I didn't read the part about the 'remote shed'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Horsedoc wrote:
Recommend a book or website about solar panels. Mostly theory and practical application is my goal.
How and why they work.
Size of panels, controllers, batteries etc to use for a motion detector lights and/or lights for a remote shed.
Thanks guys

This plain English website may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
How and why they work.
The panel works like a diode allowing electrons to flow one direction. The sun excites the electrons and they all pile up on one side creating the voltage. Connect to a battery to store the electric power.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Beware, Itโ€™s addicting - lol

3 tons

There is a most excellent thread that CA Traveler put up about 6 years ago regarding members solar installations.

He did a great job of compiling a lot of solar info and putting it all in one thread.
I subscribed to it so I could read and learn more for when I do my own TT.

Check it out here.

This will keep you out of mischief for a while.... :W:W
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has a great selection of books covering all you want to know