cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires - for a truck...

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for tires for my 2018 Ram CTD Bighorn - LT285 60/R20 Really like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 tires, but they don't come with raised white letters. In fact, not a lot of tires in this size have them, not even the Dueler H/T 685. The only ones I can find with the raised letters are the OEM Firestones - and those are done at less than 28K miles. Discount tire says there is a Cooper model ( Discover ATP2) available in size 275/65 R20 but don't think I want to run a thinner tire, and not sure the load range matches. Anyone know of a good tire with raised white letters?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
25 REPLIES 25

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Bridgestone or Michelin. (Duravis or LTX)

Two sets of the latter to go almost 250k (50/50 Town/Country).
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
I am having the Cooper AT3's installed tomorrow. Looked at those, Bridgestones, and a few others. Cant find any known name AT tires in that size for under $300 and have no interest in spending $400+ for goodyears. Cooper AT3's my local quoted rate was $300-$340 installed. Only got 30k miles out of the factory Firestones. Hoping to get more out of these, and they look awesome in the pictures. https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Discoverer-All-Terrain-Radial-Tire-285/dp/B07DN82SN4

I used to run the Bridgstone Revo's and they were great at first and once they wore some I found that traction suffered badly. I switched to the Cooper AT3's and I am not looking back. Much better traction throughout the life of the tire, great wear and cheaper than the Bridgestones. That is my experience so others may vary.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Quick update. Have had the Cooper AT3's on now for a week including 200 miles of towing. Nothing to complain about. Ride much smoother than my Firestones did (though they actually have tread so that is likely why) and are not at all noisy. They look aggressive but ride like a quality AT tire. Fingers crossed I get better life out of these but I would suggest looking into them. Keep in mind however that they come in black or white letters. Mine are black and it's not the old flip the letter type tire so be sure you ask for while letters if that is what you want.
Yes - Cooper makes tires with white letters - but not in my size - see their response to me below. Sure, I could have gone with the tire they suggested, but didn't want to. The only tire with them( in my size ) is the Firestone - may have been a better tire that the factory set, but I didn't want to take the chance. Found the Bridgestone Duelers at a lower price than Discount tire and used the Found it lower link on their website - received an email from them offering the same price. Now that they are installed, they really don't look that bad.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick update. Have had the Cooper AT3's on now for a week including 200 miles of towing. Nothing to complain about. Ride much smoother than my Firestones did (though they actually have tread so that is likely why) and are not at all noisy. They look aggressive but ride like a quality AT tire. Fingers crossed I get better life out of these but I would suggest looking into them. Keep in mind however that they come in black or white letters. Mine are black and it's not the old flip the letter type tire so be sure you ask for while letters if that is what you want.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FTR (for the record), I'm not a very picky tire guy.
But Toyo RTs (albeit mine are 37s) are loud for how aggressive they are and in factory trim (not siped) are only marginally better than fair weather tires and not as good as most all ATs in snow.

Similar snow performance to a Firestone Transforce AT. Not great.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

darkmind25
Explorer
Explorer
I am very pleased with the set of Nitto Ridge Grappler tires that I recently bought from 4wheelonline. It performs well both on and off-road. Surprising quiet for an all-terrain tire.

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
20 inch wheel tires must wear out sooner then 18 inch wheel tires. I have a '16 Ram Big Horn crewcab CTD and have 37,000 miles on my Firestone Transforce so far. I will replace them this fall but can't complain about them.
toolmaker

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
OK - did lots of research including contacting Cooper and Bridgstone - the only tire with raised white letters in the size I want - 285/60 R20 is the Firestone Transforce AT - the original equipment tire that didn't last 28K miles.

Looks like I'm going with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 3

Guess I'll just have to get used to it - no way will I go on my next trip without changing the tires.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Every new truck Iโ€™ve ever bought, I make them remount the raised white letter tires inside cause they are a pain to keep clean in this Georgia clay.

blt2ski
kfp673 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
kfp673 wrote:

I just did not want the same Firestones that really should have been replaced at 25k miles (I stretched to 30k).

I must live a charmed life.

I got about 30k on the coopers that had about 1/2 tread life left when I bought the truck and have 15k on the new off brand tires and the tread is barely broken in (that includes about 8k towing).

Usually get 40-60k out of a set of tires and I usually buy the off brands and never had an issue with them.

Ha. Charmed indeed ๐Ÿ˜‰ Most reviews of the stock Firestones seem like 25-30k average. Hopping for better with these Coopers. Curious, what PSI do you set on your truck? Do you inflate and deflate when not towing? I read mixed reviews about max PSI. You get the best MPG but I have read recently it cuts tire life. I have always left mine between 75-80PSI so maybe I will start playing with PSI and lower when not towing.

Not sure size, capacity of tires you have, but found on my CC SW GM 3500's, I ran 40-45 on the rear, typically 60-65 on the front empty. Loaded rears were 60-65. Front typical 4500 lbs, rear 2200-5500 lbs. Your truck like a lot of recent decade of trucks seem to wieght empty 1000 lbs more, give upwards of 2000 lbs more. So a bit higher psi might be needed.
I got 50,000 usually from tires. Being in construction, there were also a number of days I did 20-30 miles oneveay empty, back to supplier with 80 lbs. So centers did wear a bit more than outsides due to this issue.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
kfp673 wrote:

I just did not want the same Firestones that really should have been replaced at 25k miles (I stretched to 30k).

I must live a charmed life.

I got about 30k on the coopers that had about 1/2 tread life left when I bought the truck and have 15k on the new off brand tires and the tread is barely broken in (that includes about 8k towing).

Usually get 40-60k out of a set of tires and I usually buy the off brands and never had an issue with them.

Ha. Charmed indeed ๐Ÿ˜‰ Most reviews of the stock Firestones seem like 25-30k average. Hopping for better with these Coopers. Curious, what PSI do you set on your truck? Do you inflate and deflate when not towing? I read mixed reviews about max PSI. You get the best MPG but I have read recently it cuts tire life. I have always left mine between 75-80PSI so maybe I will start playing with PSI and lower when not towing.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Did you buy them from Amazon?

No. Buying them from the shop installing them. This was just the first link I found.
I just did not want the same Firestones that really should have been replaced at 25k miles (I stretched to 30k). The Discoverer AT3's get great reviews. As you can see above there are obviously some that don't like them but then again it seems that way with every tire. I'm getting them installed this morning and like them or not they will be on my truck until they wear out. Ha!

Good luck
I don't go off-road a lot. Wondering if those tires will be loud on the pavement - let me know how they work out as far as noise is concerned.

Only have about 40 miles on them so far and so far they are not any louder than the Firestones. They are an AT tire not a true off-road / mud tire. Leaving for a long weekend trip with the camper today so I'll let you know how they do towing. FYI, mine are black letters so if you specifically want white be sure to ask for that when the shop orders them. What I like is they look pretty aggressive but the lugs are not huge like a pure off road tire so they ride like a standard AT tire. Best of both worlds is what I am hoping long term and boy do they look better than those old firestones (assuming you like a more aggressive look)

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I will also second the Falcon WildPeak tires. Have them on a 3500 and a 1500. They did great in Winter and held their own in the Spring mud. They are a real popular tire here.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

blt2ski
Wrong size, have cooper at3 on my blown engined C2500. Found them to be overall good tires. Son had some that went 60-70k miles, those were a 265-70-17 iirc. Just out 305-70 or 75 18 after putting a 3.5" superlift kit on it.
Would like them for my 1500, but only come in LRE 285-75-18. Would prefer an XL, a bit lighter, don't need some 15-16k lbs of tired under a rig that will never be over 8000 lbs.
I haven't found a brand yet with XL versions in that size. Next smaller 275-65-18 or 285-60-18 does. As is stock 265-65-18.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer