Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: New Silverado 4500 w/ TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Silverado 4500 w/ TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New model, and not good for a TC as they are still taller than a reg pickup cab. In person they appear shorter than the old Kodiaks but still poor choice for a TC.
Given the appeal and relative popularity of the class 4 and 5 Fords and Dodges, it didn’t make sense to me that GM produced another basically commercial use only med duty.
I’ve only seen maybe 2 of them on the road. But seems you see new F and R med duty trucks more

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Here’s a bad boy

[image]

That's an old Kodiak, circa 2005ish.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a great way to go right now as there are 450/4500's available at mid-trim levels reasonably optioned. Put a TC on a flatbed and fill the empty spaces w tool boxes.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

It's a great way to go right now as there are 450/4500's available at mid-trim levels reasonably optioned. Put a TC on a flatbed and fill the empty spaces w tool boxes.

Mid optioned CC/4wd with a detuned engine and old 6 speed (which is probably ok if you're geared for pulling and not 80mph on the highway) and a flatbed is still a $70k rig and they basically come in any color you like as long as it's white....
You're right, they're available still, even last year's models.
GM still cant get it right with med duty trucks save for very limited use profiles.
Heck, I love Duramax trucks and the new (not new new, 3rd year of production, about to be 4th here soon) med duties are still a turd in Chevy clothing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

Here’s a bad boy

[image]

That's an old Kodiak, circa 2005ish.

Almost did this back about 8 years ago. Saw a screaming deal on a luxury cc 4wd diesel Kodiak with really low miles.
Checked out the truck, it was sweet.
Did the math and camper would have been about 14’ high and required an escalator to get to the back door!

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Mid optioned CC/4wd with a detuned engine and old 6 speed (which is probably ok if you're geared for pulling and not 80mph on the highway) and a flatbed is still a $70k rig and they basically come in any color you like as long as it's white....
You're right, they're available still, even last year's models.
GM still cant get it right with med duty trucks save for very limited use profiles.
Heck, I love Duramax trucks and the new (not new new, 3rd year of production, about to be 4th here soon) med duties are still a turd in Chevy clothing.

As long as it's not black or red w a moonroof I'm good.

darkmind25

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeedRacer350 wrote:

Has anyone seen or heard of a new medium duty Chevy truck with a truck camper? I Googled and couldn't even find a picture. There were lots with the old Kodiaks, but none on the new platform. I'm daydreaming about a rig like that to use as a toterhome and wanted to visualize it.

thanks.

Haven't seen one.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM is supplying these to manufacturers including Coachmen for their Class C motorhomes. Great to have a 20,000 lb GCWR.

SpeedRacer350

Wine Country, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

GM is supplying these to manufacturers including Coachmen for their Class C motorhomes. Great to have a 20,000 lb GCWR.

Finally! I can't wait to see something other than a Ford chassis. Both my father and grandfather have driven Chevy as long as Chevy has existed. I'm not about to change that now.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper

Troutguy

Midwest USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a Northern Lite on a new Chevy 4500 flatbed up in a Mackinaw City campground last month........it was very impressive! Didn’t have my phone with me to take a picture and nobody was around to talk to about. It was very tall. That’s all I can tell you about it but they do exist.

TG

2018 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper & Honda EU2000

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Silverado 4500 w/ TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.