cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tomato Pie

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found a Classic Southern Tomato Pie recipe with bacon in it. Of course. I'll have to try this when the tomatoes start appearing in the local farmer's market.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
6 REPLIES 6

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef, I was just getting ready to say "its all good if it is Dukes"!
!

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Sounded good, until I saw the "topped with mayo" part. Yuck.

This, on the other hand, sounds excellent:

Fresh Tomato Quiche

I'm diabetic, so pie crusts must be on my "eat rarely" list, but I'd definitely go for this.

Or just toss together a Caprese Salad with some added onions and avocados and dive in...

As long as it's Dukes Mayonnaise, it's all good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, it's very similar to a quiche but without eggs and milk.

Although the recipe skips it, the specific variety of tomato makes a huge difference in these recipes. Oval tomatoes, aka "paste" tomatoes like Roma or San Marzano, are the best for these recipes. Round slicers like Better Boys, Mortage Lifters or Green Zebras are watery and will need to be salted and drained before use.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one of these at a restaurant in Scottsboro, Alabama. Carlile's.

The mayo blends in with the cheese when it's baked. I never even knew it had mayo in it until I saw the recipe and I'm pretty good at being able to identify ingredients of any dish I'm eating.

It was flavorful. Definitely a winner with herself and I. The crust was thin and crispy too. So I'm going to give it a go.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that it was a pizza feom the title. Man, i would have never thought of that.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Lol And I thought that I liked all pie.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Sounded good, until I saw the "topped with mayo" part. Yuck.

This, on the other hand, sounds excellent:

Fresh Tomato Quiche

I'm diabetic, so pie crusts must be on my "eat rarely" list, but I'd definitely go for this.

Or just toss together a Caprese Salad with some added onions and avocados and dive in...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more