cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Industries now has $14 billion in backlogged orders

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
From Business Insider: Thor Industries now has $14 billion in backlogged orders and is 'pretty much sold out for the next year'

And now, this boost in sales has grown into an over $14 billion order backlog, which is an almost 550% increase compared to the same time in 2020. Taking a closer look, Thor's backlog for towables and motorized RVs by the end of April in North America increased 766% and 548%, respectively, compared to the same time in 2020.

"Since a significant number of units in our backlog have already been retail sold, we currently believe the restocking cycle will extend well into calendar 2022," Martin said in the earnings report.
29 REPLIES 29

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Very little inventory where I work. Word we get from the Indiana Transport drivers is the yards are pretty full with incomplete units, many waiting for chips and other parts. And they don't have enuf drivers for deliveries.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
North of Seattle they are circling the lots with the units to make it look like they are packed, same with auto dealers.

I can verify that.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I think it is just another "covid generated rumor or whatever"

The three RV lots in Springfield IL are loaded with towable units. :h

From what posters are saying - maybe it's just a "Thor thing" !!

Can somebody ask Bob Villa to check with the Amish Craftsman that were making stoves previously. Are they driving new buggies with Olds Fiesta hubcaps and horses with beautiful diamond-studded harnesses??...:@

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
North of Seattle they are circling the lots with the units to make it look like they are packed, same with auto dealers.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:

Lots of Grand Design units for sale in Gadsden. I'm surprised people think those are good quality durable units on the web reviews, to me they are built like ultra light models. Very thin counter tops, very light duty cabinets and the floors flex as I walk around.

Grand Design did a great marketing job and created a cult like following which I never bought into despite owning two Grand Design products. The first built in 2013 was ok, but nothing above previous owned trailers built by Forest River or Thor companies. The second built in 2019, a Solitude which is their self proclaimed top of the line, was absolute junk. So much so that we dumped it at a loss to get from under the recurring issues and trips back to their factory. Nothing much Grand about them.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is just another "covid generated rumor or whatever"

The three RV lots in Springfield IL are loaded with towable units. :h

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Articles in business and trade publications like that or corporate reports reflect the past. Orders are not sales. They have to have a rosy picture for the investors and always paint it that way.

Wait 6 months to a year until inflation, which is running away with no topoff in sight, and the increased prices of energy and materials catch up with the RV industry. Plywood has more than doubled in price, steel and other metals also. That has to be passed on in future prices which will eventually slam the brakes on sales. Then they tear up or hit delete key on the orders.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
One would expect inventory to start coming back, as the "buying season" in northern states tapers off as the camping season goes on.
Except that the article indicated that all of 2021 production was already sold at the retail level and they expected 2022 production to just fill normal dealer inventory.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Should be a lot less Thor complaints this year.......But oh man, wait till next year!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
The PNW is unique I think, in the number of outdoor recreationalists, not excluding other popular areas though. One would expect inventory to start coming back, as the "buying season" in northern states tapers off as the camping season goes on.

The Buying season is followed by the Warranty season, which usually lasts about a year.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Appears from the posts here, and my recent searching, that the further east you go, the more RVs are available for sale and the cheaper the prices.

We headed west from Michigan. Bought in Omaha (long story not related to RV inventories) and saw plenty of RVs on lots out thru Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California, so I don't think it's how far east you are.
I've observed similar to Grid Dog. Maybe it's just the northwest. We have RV lots galore, but there's much less inventory than there used to be. I've actually noticed an uptick recently though.

The PNW is unique I think, in the number of outdoor recreationalists, not excluding other popular areas though. One would expect inventory to start coming back, as the "buying season" in northern states tapers off as the camping season goes on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was doing some work in Oregon a couple weeks ago. There was a lot near where we were, every trailer had a sold sign on the trailer. I was shocked, I did't see one on the lot without a sold sign.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Appears from the posts here, and my recent searching, that the further east you go, the more RVs are available for sale and the cheaper the prices.

We headed west from Michigan. Bought in Omaha (long story not related to RV inventories) and saw plenty of RVs on lots out thru Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California, so I don't think it's how far east you are.
I've observed similar to Grid Dog. Maybe it's just the northwest. We have RV lots galore, but there's much less inventory than there used to be. I've actually noticed an uptick recently though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

This early spring we were searching for the 6yr 30' range MH's. At the time we were only intrested in Winnebago,Tiffin, Newmar..nothing in the NE area... with the exception of 1 newmar that was trashed on the inside that was sitting on the lot since last summer. Only a few over 35'

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)