Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Turning a FW around in a Culdesac
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Turning a FW around in a Culdesac

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your tires and axles can’t take it… better to find out at a slow speed. The back of the trailer is not going to hit anything as it will be inside of where the truck goes.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WE-C-USA

NW Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, if you don't think you can make the turn around. Then back into the cul-de-sac off the main road. Most need to learn how to back away.

Frank & PJ
2004 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave for a trip Sunday so going to try it today. My luck my neighbor's truck is parked in the culdesac - he never parks there. My plan is to back down the street. I think that's easier anyway and will help to hone my skills.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well we always kept most needed stuff loaded in the 5er year round, just had to load perishable food mostly.
What is your position on the cul-de-sac? Just before going full time we lived in an end unit townhouse. I needed to install a correct Track system and wet bolts, the townhouse driveway was at the 3 o'clock position on the cul-de-sac. I was able to swing around and nose into the driveway at the 9 o'clock position, then back down the other three units, with the front of the 5er just past the next door neighbors garage door.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well we always kept most needed stuff loaded in the 5er year round, just had to load perishable food mostly.
What is your position on the cul-de-sac? Just before going full time we lived in an end unit townhouse. I needed to install a correct Track system and wet bolts, the townhouse driveway was at the 3 o'clock position on the cul-de-sac. I was able to swing around and nose into the driveway at the 9 o'clock position, then back down the other three units, with the front of the 5er just past the next door neighbors garage door.

We are at the 11:00 position, so not much of a turn while backing in. Not straight, but not too exaggerated either. I've backed in far worse places. The rub is the long section of street I'll have to back into but it is what it is.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th Wheels turn around great - I have turned around in much smaller spaces, mine is 32' length. Even if you have to jack knife, you are not going to hurt the tires. I have done this and I have LT tires, not ST. They are fine. I park next to a building and have to turn very sharp in the lot to get it there, no issues and I have a short bed. Sometimes have to turn wide, straighten out, then turn again, but always get there. I jack knife all the time on gravel and have done it on cement, so it will not hurt the tires or the axels. However, with that large of space, you probably won't even be close to a jack knife.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We as well live on a Cut-De-Sac and it's a LARGE one at that. Coming down the street into it, we are 1st on on right or 3:00(?). Just go slow when making your turn. Now, you didn't say if your staying parked in street or backing into driveway. With ours and driveway has a pitch to it, I come in clockwise so I'm backing into d-way on driver's side. Mind you I'm probly pushing 55'-60' in total.

OP you said that your C-D-S is 52' in diameter, yes that's tight, but still doable as long as you go slow. As others have said, the trailer will track to inside either way you go. Just swing it wide so front of truck is closest to mailboxes or side of blacktop if no mailboxes. If staying in street, so door of coach is facing your house, the RV will be closer to center of C-D-S just nature of the beast.

Our town has many C-D-S's and some are small. So small in fact that a Mack Granite 10 wheeler with a 1 way front snowplow, wing and salt box/spreader goes around as best they can and will have to push snow up onto lawn, stop, back up and reposition himself to complete the turn. I know this cuz I'v been the wingman operator for him. Pain the azz w/o a doubt, but can be done. Granted the Mack's don't turn worth a **** anyways, but that's besides the point. Point is, even on a small C-D-S, you can do it. Just takes practice.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

We are at the 11:00 position, so not much of a turn while backing in. Not straight, but not too exaggerated either. I've backed in far worse places. The rub is the long section of street I'll have to back into but it is what it is.

We we hosted a coastal park in the winter, the site was angled the wrong way. The normal way would be drive down the road to a round about and back to do a short back in to the site. I found it easiest way to pull into the day use and then back about 300’ down to the site.
I have always used the hand on the bottom to the wheel and push the direction you want the tail of the 5er to go, just take take it slow and easy.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here, I ended up backing it down the street. Not as bad as I thought. Thanks for all the responses!

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you can get the truck 90 degrees to the trailer without hitting the cab, should be no problem swinging a U-turn in the cul-de-sac.

Your other option, is quite viable also. I assume it's low volume so traffic shouldn't be a problem to back down the road. Just take your time. Since 5th wheels are slow to start turning when backing, you generally have plenty of time to correct. 660ft isn't far. Worst case if it starts to get away from you, pull forward 20-30ft to get it in line and start backing again.

Do it a few times and your skills will improve.

With out reading all this stuff you don't need to know, just back it down as Valhalla says. It's not rocket science here and have a spotter as you back so you don't hit a parked car. I do it all the time and I am good enough to not really need the spotter. I use one just in case a neighbor pulls out of driveway. Easy. If you can't back this down with any kind of trailer, I would rethink Why I have one.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Turning a FW around in a Culdesac
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.