cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fl to Mo

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to get frustrated. I will be traveling from Gainesville, Fl to Springfield, Mo and most of the travel will be on the weekend of the 19th of June. I know, I know...weekends are the worst.

Anyway in the past I have gone up through AL and over to Memphis (65 to 22, etc) but knowing about the bridge issue in Memphis I was looking at different routes. I started to look at going through Atlanta and then toward Nashville but camping anywhere near Nashville is out of the question for that weekend with the race going on. Now I am back to square one, kind of.

I really am looking to do this with 3 nights camping and 4 days of driving so I have some flexibility but I would prefer not to get stuck in Memphis for long periods unless someone knows a decent way around or through the bridge issue.

Or any other thoughts on making it to Springfield without going hundreds of miles out of my way.

Thanks gang.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
12 REPLIES 12

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
So is it still limited access? It appears to be a decent road and I thought it was truck and rv accessible. I am looking at stopping in Clarksville, TN and then going to Springfield, MO. Curious about the roads between there, bridge heights etc.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far back as late '70s US 60 Springfield to east of Cabool was limited access. The bridge at Wickliffe was a driver test that would panic some RVers, but bet it would be good road

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone taken 60 across to Springfield recently… from I-24 to Springfield? Looking to avoid St Louis.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I've seen some pretty weird things argued about on these forums in my years.

Now I have a new one to add to my list.

I fail to understand. Everybody is entitled to there opinion. But how can there be communication if we use alternative facts?
There are standards states must use if a highway is designated "interstate", fly the red/blue sign.
Pulled a Ark permit to haul machine from Little Rock to state line in route to Rolla. For return, I used Mo blanket to get to West Plains, used that for starting point, so could enter Ark on US 63.
When I'm traveling for fun, I normally carry more cash than I want to give away, so I will not drive in Tennessee.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:
There is NOT an Interstate Hiway from Little Rock to Springfield. It is a U.S. Hwy.

I didn't say it was the same interstate, but how about I40 to I49 and that north to Springfield?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dedmiston
I've seen some pretty weird things argued about on these forums in my years.

Now I have a new one to add to my list.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
eHoefler wrote:
IDman wrote:
There is NOT an Interstate Hiway from Little Rock to Springfield. It is a U.S. Hwy.

Interstate HWY 65

US 65 is not a "Interstate" highway. Much of the distance it is "limited access" but not all intersections meet interstate standards.
And for people that are afraid of interstates in the mountains, there are some humps that will make them grab a double handful of seat with both hands on the wheel.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:

Interstate HWY 65
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

IDman
Explorer
Explorer

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
You can cross the Mississippi River north of Memphis at Curuthersville, MO, then pick up I-57 N to Sikeston, MO and take Hwy 60 across Southern MO to Springfield. Hwy 60 is a good road.

Not sure that's any better than the previously mentioned Arkansas route.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We generally take I10 to Mobile, then Hwy 45 to Jackson to I20. You could take 20 to US65 and that to Little Rock and then it's Interstates all the way to Springfield. We took 49/45 south a few weeks ago and there was some construction but nothing major.

We are in the G'ville area too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I'd try to avoid the Atlanta-Nashville thing. In Alabama, I-65 to I-22 is your best bet as I see it. We were recently in KS & MO and came back through Memphis. A lot has to do with the time of day you hit the bridge area. Our GPS helped us immensely. Yes, it took us through a few residential neighborhoods, but it certainly wasn't bad. It made more sense than adding several hours to our trip by avoiding the bridge (I-55).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress