Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a educational lesson on solar Panel

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need a lesson on solar panel.
Have a Fleetwood DP that has 4 6 volt house batteries in series and two 12 volt chassie batteries. The MH is not plug into shore power while sitting. I purchased on Amazon a 12 volt, 100 watt panel. Knowing very little about this subject, will this system be able to maintain my batteries. Nothing else on the MH will be on.

Thanks for the lession.
5 REPLIES 5

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
100 watts at 12 volts = 8.333 amps. Just be sure the batteries are fully charged before you park it. I would get something you can add on to....a larger controller that would handle a few hundred watts.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
A 100 watt panel will do fine for just maintaining your batteries. You most likely will have a problem doing both the chassis and house batteries at the same time because typically there is a battery isolator in the system. You could jumper around the isolator while in storage. You will also need a charge controller. A cheap PWM type would work fine.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You will need at least 200W to maintain your batteries. I’ve learned quite a bit from this guy, DIY Solar with Will Prouse.
He has a lot of beginner videos that will give you a lot of info to start. Start from the beginning of his videos and go from there.

Personally I think at least 400W is the way to go with a good MPPT charge controller.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This tutorial is fairly good.

https://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-solar-power-basic-concepts-components-and-installation-tutorial/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A panel is not a solar system. Panels equaling at least one solar watt per battery amp, a controller from a known manufacturer and rated to at least the number amps put out at max by the panels, and adequately large wiring with your batteries is a solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad