Explorer II
15 REPLIES 15

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Bags4266 wrote:
What I don't get is everyone is suppose to be unemployed

In my state, unemployment pays about $54,000 a year. That's more than a lot of full time jobs in the rural areas, more than a lot of retirees make too. Besides the fact that there is very little incentive to actually go find work, it provides plenty of money to go camping.

What state is that? That is over $1000 per week. Or does that include the$300 per week the fed is paying?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bags4266 wrote:
What I don't get is everyone is suppose to be unemployed

In my state, unemployment pays about $54,000 a year. That's more than a lot of full time jobs in the rural areas, more than a lot of retirees make too. Besides the fact that there is very little incentive to actually go find work, it provides plenty of money to go camping.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dedmiston
I'm not an Idahoan, but we have family roots there and I'm a fan.

If I lived there, I would see this as a win/win. Motivating the out-of-staters to go to the private parks is good for their businesses and opens up more room at state parks for the locals.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
That type of fee increase will discourage me from future visits to Idaho State parks. I don't blame them for the hikes, tough when locals can't get in their own campgrounds. But jacking rates up twice as much says a lot. Oregon appears to want and appreciate my out of State tourist dollars.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall what other state we were visiting, but the nightly rate for a non-resident was double and that was a couple of years ago.

We don't visit our state parks during peak times because you can't get a reservation, yet I don't think it's fair to increase rates so that it discourages out of state visitors.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Bags4266 wrote:
It's horrible, covid campers and families out for the weekend kill your chance for a spot. Gas prices over 3.00 a gallon. What I don't get is everyone is suppose to be unemployed

Not so. There are still a lot of FS CG's that have plenty of room even on prime holiday weekends.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Makes it hard to find a good spot but isn't it great. These people are getting the things that we all RV/camp for. Making memories and bonding as families. Sure covid may be the reason why but the result is the same. Teach them as some of them are the future of RVing.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Sells out in an hour? You have 3 to 5 minutes in CA for anything good.

3 to 5 minutes? Try for FL in the winter, it is microseconds.
The weekend warriors are not a new thing. Most all of us were them not so long ago, just book earlier.
We go Sunday and come home Friday, problem solved.
Puma 30RKSS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
This is nothing. State and Federal Budgets are a mess, some a lot more than others, and no bureaucracy generates one dime of income, that comes from taxes and fees. The can can only be kicked down the road so far, and since March 2020 they've been kicking continuously. This bubble will burst soon and make 2008/2009 feel like it was just a small bump in the road.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bags4266 wrote:
It's horrible, covid campers and families out for the weekend kill your chance for a spot. Gas prices over 3.00 a gallon. What I don't get is everyone is suppose to be unemployed

Welcome to the new world of RV'ing. Covid/unemployment or not things aren't changing anytime soon. Probably won't change for years.
This problems been building up for the last 10 years.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bags4266 wrote:
Unemployed have time to camp, and unemployment checks pay the gas.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bags4266
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sells out in an hour? You have 3 to 5 minutes in CA for anything good.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Double is quite a premium. Makes private parks more competitive price wise.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad