cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer brake warning on RAM

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 3500 and I get a check trailer brake warning when hooked up to my 5th wheel. I put another truck on the trailer and got the same warning. So the problem is in the trailer.

How does the truck know that the connection is not good? I thought the wire from the truck was an out put voltage. The lights (brake turn signal) on the trailer work fine.
12 REPLIES 12

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed, I read the other thread on the subject and followed the advice and pinched the contact on the trailer cord that plugs into the truck and that fixed it. Nice to have it fixed I was in Mexico and had a long drive home.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
If you were to connect a test lamp to the brake circuit on your trucks 7-pin connector, you may notice a small quick flash every 30 seconds or so. That is your brake controller monitoring the circuit. It sends out a voltage and watches for a reference to ground on the circuit. If it doesn't see one, it knows the circuit is open and displays the warning message.

Good info, thanks.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
If you were to connect a test lamp to the brake circuit on your trucks 7-pin connector, you may notice a small quick flash every 30 seconds or so. That is your brake controller monitoring the circuit. It sends out a voltage and watches for a reference to ground on the circuit. If it doesn't see one, it knows the circuit is open and displays the warning message.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't use the grease but sprayed with cleaner. Remember a 2nd truck showed same problem.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
Put some dielectric grease on the 7-pin connection, start simple.

This worked for me as well.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Put some dielectric grease on the 7-pin connection, start simple.

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
All exposed wires are good - its the buried ones that suck.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
If the circuit to the trailer brakes is not complete, it will sense that and send the error message. If both trucks are giving the same result, lights work but brakes send a message, check to see that the break away cable and switch are working. Then do a continuity check of the trailer brake wires, from the 7 pin connector. Could be as simple as a broken off ground or power wire.

X2
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will sense an open circuit and a shorted circuit
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
is it set to the proper setting in the menu...Electric brakes or EOH (Electric over Hydraulics)
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider cleaning your 7 pin connector. I decided to replace my OE connector and no problems since.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
If the circuit to the trailer brakes is not complete, it will sense that and send the error message. If both trucks are giving the same result, lights work but brakes send a message, check to see that the break away cable and switch are working. Then do a continuity check of the trailer brake wires, from the 7 pin connector. Could be as simple as a broken off ground or power wire.