cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna Upgrade

BcBorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, thank you for allowing me to be a part of this forum.

I have a 2012 Dutchman Kodiak Travel trailer with Discontinued Jensen ANHD20 Omni-directional antenna.

My research thus far has the Winegard Sensar IV and the King Jack OA8500 as my top picks. I like the fact the Sensar can rise above the roof and I like the fact the Jack is a little more Omni-directional.

I have read of many upgrading their Sensar head for the King Jack head. I don't have this option as my current antenna is low profile. King does not make a unit that rises.

I have read rave reviews from both side, I would like to hear from everyone that has swapped out an omni-directional in the last 2 years for one of these two or switched from one of these to the other.

I cannot find a current shootout between these two units.

Thanks for your help.
10 REPLIES 10

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great success with the Winegard Rayzar automatic. It's pricey but under a dome and no maintenance or new holes in the roof. The Sensar IV is still the most superior antenna available but my new coach had the Rayzar automatic (not omni-directional) and it have come to really like it.
If you are going to be out camping 40+ miles from a signal then the Sensar IV is really the only choice.

EmilyMorgan
Explorer
Explorer
I removed my Winegard batwing to replace it with a 300 watt solar panel. I installed the KING OA1000 OmniPro Portable Omnidirectional HDTV at the very rear of my roofline and was very happy with the result. I actually got more total channels in my area after the change.

I don't use the OTA often. It is mostly used if we are traveling away from our Dish local channel area and want to watch a basketball or football game on CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX. We use Dish for sports on the non-local channels or stream a local from our home setup if we have decent cellular.

We mostly camp in the rural Great Basin and not many TV transmitters are found in the areas we camp.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That Jensen is an OMNI and as someone posted "Omnidirectional antennas work equally poor in all directions)

I'd upgrade to a Winegard Sensar IV For added range and directionality.

Someone said King not make a "Jack" that rises...
In fact they make a unit that mounts on the winegard lift arms.

I have ONE thing I do not like about the winegard Sensar IV and that is the fact you do NOT get full 360Degree rotation.

But I Believe Winegard (And others) has a "Flying saucer" type (Like the Jensen) that is in fact directional (it rotates inside the saucer) with a control inside you can rotate it with electrically.. I know RCA used to make one and Radio Shack sold it as "Digital" ready.

NOTE: The antenna does not care if the signal is digital or analog, TV or voice, it's all RF to the antenna.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NTrain
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a Jensen antenna # ANHD20 to replace stolen unit from my trailer. Anyone know of some that are available ? Thanks.

BcBorn
Explorer
Explorer
Good Write up on the comparison.

Must decide if -8 Db is worth buying two antenna's to get the height (both require drilling through the roof for the directional handle).

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like that the most simple replacement would be the Jack,it should go into the same mounting area,where as the Winegard would take a lot more work.

I have had A Great experience with my Jack Antenna.I have extended family members that I camp with that have the King Jack OA8500 on their RVs and get the same results as mine that is mounted in place of the Winegard Sensar
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither the Sensar nor the King Jack are Omni-directional antennas. Both are directional and require aiming. Both are good antennas.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
First off, Omni directional anntenaes work equally poorly in all directions. In our previous trailer I replaced the Jensen Omni directional with a King Jack that rotated. Our reception in the driveway improved from a couple stations to about 12. Common online wisdom is the wingard is a better unit, but you have to have clearance on the roof for it to fold down flat. The King Jack has roughly the same profile as the omni directional. The reason manufacturers are going to omni directional is they don't have to have a spot for the rotation handle inside the trailer. I had to cut out a blank panel in the cabinets to access the handle.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there was a lab report in the forums some time back.

Here is an "Expierment" you can do to show the advantages of the Sensar IV v/s the Jack

Take a necklace chain and lay it on a map. perfect circle, stick a pin in the center of the circle. an Omin-Directional antenna can see everything in that circle

Now pull it into a slight egg shape.. that's jack
Now pull it even farther That's the Sensar IV

If the station is inside the necklace You see it

NOTE: This is not to scale but it is demonstrative

Finally.. Though there are exceptions television broadcasters may have studios all over creation but the transmission towers tend to be next door neighbors. That is all gathered on the highest hill in the area

I have been in places where there were multiple hills often a hundred miles or more apart (3 of them at least) but Well.. the TV antenna was also 100' up a tower. I know, I put it there (At RV heights you did not get such good reception)

Note also I've seen days when the winegard did better lying on the roof. and yes, I know why (Trees)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a test that former member SCVJeff did using a lab quality spectrum analyzer:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27171026.cfm

I have both a Winegard Sensar IV and a Jack and can confirm that the Sensar IV is the better of the two. Because of the wide arms of the Sensar it does a much better job receiving the VHF channels. About 25% of the TV stations are now broadcasting on the VHF band.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN