Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New phone recommendations for cross border
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New phone recommendations for cross border

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mcewena wrote:

So I’ve got a sweetheart grandfathered voice/text Plan in Canada ($20/mth) and when I’ve traveled to the USA in the past I’ve added a 2nd SIM to my phone for use voice and data. Rather that then paying for a big data plan plus roaming.

US travel isn’t in the short term, but I need a new phone now, the list of dual SIM phones is pretty small. Do I buy another dual SIM model from ASUS or go another route?

I have an ASUS dual SIM phone and use AT&T in the US, I used to use our Canadian SIM in the other slot but I use the AT&T SIM in both the US and Canada and AT&T pairs with Rogers in Canada and I have more data (cheaper) than I could get with Rogers. Be aware that AT&T is going 5G next year and I got a notification that some current 3G/4G phones won't work, my ASUS phone isn't on the list of compatible phones FYI.

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah same phone here, their zenfone max m1. It’s been dropped a few times and it’s not getting any faster, don’t know whether to buy another identical one or wait/upgrade.

I use us mobile in the US so thanks for the at&t tip, will check them out.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mcewena wrote:

Ah, you can’t transfer a Canadian # to Skype though.

Can you get a # thru skype in Canada?

Assuming, yes...just get a new number and start using that as your primary number.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

mcewena wrote:

Ah, you can’t transfer a Canadian # to Skype though.

Can you get a # thru skype in Canada?

Assuming, yes...just get a new number and start using that as your primary number.

I can get a US skype # from anywhere but Skype won't issue # with a CDN area code. Given that I'm not quite sure how skype improves my situation to be honest so I haven't pursued it. I'd still need US data SIM to have skype or any 2nd # to forward to so Skype seems like another layer.

I know there is an issue forwarding to some MVNOs like USMobile so AT&T pay sim might be the best plan.

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

almcc wrote:

mcewena wrote:

So I’ve got a sweetheart grandfathered voice/text Plan in Canada ($20/mth) and when I’ve traveled to the USA in the past I’ve added a 2nd SIM to my phone for use voice and data. Rather that then paying for a big data plan plus roaming.

US travel isn’t in the short term, but I need a new phone now, the list of dual SIM phones is pretty small. Do I buy another dual SIM model from ASUS or go another route?

I have an ASUS dual SIM phone and use AT&T in the US, I used to use our Canadian SIM in the other slot but I use the AT&T SIM in both the US and Canada and AT&T pairs with Rogers in Canada and I have more data (cheaper) than I could get with Rogers. Be aware that AT&T is going 5G next year and I got a notification that some current 3G/4G phones won't work, my ASUS phone isn't on the list of compatible phones FYI.

I tried going the AT&T route and ran into a new problem: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30260978.cfm

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mcewena wrote:

almcc wrote:

mcewena wrote:

I tried going the AT&T route and ran into a new problem: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30260978.cfm

Not sure what the issue is but it could be the tablet. I would try putting the SIM card into your smart phone and see if you have the same problem.

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

almcc wrote:

mcewena wrote:

almcc wrote:

mcewena wrote:

Not sure what the issue is but it could be the tablet. I would try putting the SIM card into your smart phone and see if you have the same problem.

Yeah first thing I tried, same issue and Rogers sim works fine in the iPad.

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think I may have found something in the fine print. The $25/mth pay-for-6-months up front plan includes US & Canada, but the $30 one-month-at-a-time plan says “pay per use” in US/Canada. I went for the latter as a trial run.

Edit: nope that restriction is for text/voice, data “may be limited to 2g” is the only thing I can see. Right now I’m getting 0g.

* This post was edited 07/15/21 10:50am by mcewena *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New phone recommendations for cross border
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.