Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a full size residential refer so I pack a lot of stuff in the freezer. I smoked a 10lb Boston Butt a few days before we left on this trip. Pulled it and vacuum packed it into two person servings bags . I also have vacuum packed some of my vegetable lasagna, bison burgers, regular burgers, several lbs of speidies packed into 1 lb vacuum packages, ahi tuna, cod loins, pork tenderloins, a few racks of ribs, some conch chowder I made a few das ago and other assorted goodies including a few lbs of stone crab and conch fritters . I'm hungry again !

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While working, we got into the habit of cooking up meals, then freezing in FoodSaver bags. We could save an entire meal in one bag, or put each dish into bags, so we could mix and match later. Toss into boiling water or microwave and we had fast and nutritious meals.

In retirement, we tend to only freeze the leftovers, but they come in very handy when heading out in the RV. We have a residential fridge, so the freezer's large enough to hold a lot. To pack it, we just open the chest freezer, pull out the FoodSaver bags, and load the RV freezer. Then mix and match at mealtimes on the road just like we do at home.

What foods do we choose? Pretty much anything we like to eat is fair game for freezing. We also can foods, and can fill up the pantry with them. Between the freezer and pantry, we can go for a long, long time without restocking anything except milk, eggs, and snacks.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several multi function units available today. Our Ninja Foodi slow cooks, pressure cooks, air frys, dehydrates, steams, sears, etc. One pot for every function.

1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwbfl wrote:

There are several multi function units available today. Our Ninja Foodi slow cooks, pressure cooks, air frys, dehydrates, steams, sears, etc. One pot for every function.

I’ll be impressed the day they actually make a successful replicator. Earl Grey, hot.[emoticon]

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

I’ll be impressed the day they actually make a successful replicator. Earl Grey, hot.[emoticon]

Heck yeah, COMPUTER - Country fried steak, mashed potatoes, double white gravy........

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwbfl wrote:

Heck yeah, COMPUTER - Country fried steak, mashed potatoes, double white gravy........

You are certainly my spirit animal

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwbfl wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

Make it so. [emoticon]

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not very budget friendly but i found frozen burgers or pizza from your favorite spot are nice when out camping. I warm things up in a large pan with a lid on low heat. Walk away and come back 30 or 60 mins later. Nice knowing it wont burn if out talking with friends. Come back to the trailer for a beer and you have a toasty in&out burger ready to eat. The lettuce and tomato are not all that happy being frozen and then reheated. If you let the buns get nice and toasty it sorta balances out the potentially soggy inside part of the bun.

edit: in terms of bulk you would already be going to the restaurant. Buy more on purpose to freeze. A frozen in and out burger wrapped in foil in the fridge is like a block of gold when out camping!!!

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEATLOAF! I love meatloaf so I always make about 5 lbs in 2 loaves.
I slice it in portions, wrap each in alum foil then freeze them in ziplock bag.
I can have a meatloaf sandwich or ad veggies and have meatloaf dinner in minutes.
You can also buy frozen White Castles in the grocery.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/21 12:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ICamel wrote:

You can now get pressure cooker/air fryer combo units. You can also get a retro fit lid for Instant Pot that converts it to an air fryer.

A little investigation showed that not all Instapots will accommodate the optional accessory Air Fryer lid... but most will... kinda leaning toward this, as the combo unit has less features than another which will accept the optional AF lid...

Again, many thanks to all who contributed, really appreciate it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Favorite foods to make bulk and freeze for the road?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.