Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New Truck!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

I'm sure the Companion is a great hitch, but I love my 24K CURT

As do I.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

I have never had a B&W, but I hear good things about them.

I had a Reese 16k slider before I bought my 2016 F-350 with the pucks. It was new in 1998 and a good hitch. The guy I sold it to is still using it.

I don't know why you would say the CURT is not user friendly. I love the fact that I can pull the head off it in seconds and lift it in and out of the truck in two pieces. I also love the color coding that shows if the hitch is locked. Actually, there is nothing about it that I don't like.

So you like the fact it's made in China? As I mentioned it can be a PITA to unhitch.

Oh and then there is the fact the Curt can cause chucking with the pivot point being several inches below the kingpin connection.

Head easy to remove, I don't have experience with that but I pull two pins and simply lift my head off.

Compare the pivot points and you will understand the chucking issue.

[image]

[image]

LOL... And cummins12V98 is worried about a hitch made in China but never reports his Ram is made in Mexico by a French owned company.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an almost new B&W hitch for a ford that was given to me when we bought a fifth from this ford couple. I feel it would be awesome but not wanting to change to a ford when we have our air hitch that is so smooth. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant get the photos to post. I will be happy to send them to someone who can lol

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

I really appreciate my B&W but I think if I was getting a new hitch for a heavy trailer I’d also look at air ride hitches such as the Hensley Trailer Saver.

Save your self having a HEAVY hitch that requires air and simply get a nice new RAM with factory Rear Air Ride to put a B&W into. [emoticon]

See photo above, truly nice ride.

Air ride trucks are nice. BUT with that said, depending upon said trucks usage, springs alone are the better suspension vs an air ride. Likewise, there are times an air ride is the better option.
Same with hitches. Or potentially, having both being air ride is best.
There are many designs of hitches, suspensions,. Motors transmission etc to suit a final users end needs, to just say as you go cummins, mines best because that's what I have!
Let's ALL keep in mind, there is more than one way to skin a cat per say.

Marty

HMMMM, don't think I said "mines best" Just gave an example of what I have and works well.

It's not the first setup I have owned, and some were not good at all that's why I don't talk about them.

So please tell me what is good and bad about the rear air ride that RAM offers? I have had plenty of standard suspensions and one with air bags that was the best I had owned until this air assist setup. I can't find a thing wrong with it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

I have an almost new B&W hitch for a ford that was given to me when we bought a fifth from this ford couple. I feel it would be awesome but not wanting to change to a ford when we have our air hitch that is so smooth. chevman

Larry, keep what you have!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"LOL... And cummins12V98 is worried about a hitch made in China but never reports his Ram is made in Mexico by a French owned company."

Yes this is true. It is assembled in Mexico with mostly US Made parts including the engine. Do I wish it were Made in USA? YEP but the alternative that you own with an engine that is Made in Mexico cancels that out.

Everyone should do their best NOT to buy Made in China products when possible. I am sure many have no idea that's where their 5er hitches are made as Curt is VERY deceiving on their website about where they manufacture all their parts. I have a Curt ball coupler that is US Made and of good quality.

I don't just say don't buy a Curt, I give good reasons why they are not the best option.

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm starting to remember why I stopped being as proactive on this forum, People kept getting off topic ETC. Moderator you can close this post!

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the truck, OP. You're going to love it! [emoticon]

And a real bonus is that they went back to the tried and true CP3 injection pump!

Please let us know how it is after you tow with it! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

I'm sure the Companion is a great hitch, but I love my 24K CURT

As do I.

I've got the 20K sliding Ram hitch which is a Curt as well and it has been trouble free for the past 7 years. It is by far the heaviest hitch I have had, though...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.