Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2005 Lance 845
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > 2005 Lance 845

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
d3500ram

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 06/14/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll need a F450 or F500 to haul the TC.

(J/K .... LOL)
[emoticon]


Just kidding... Grit has some good comments.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/14/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to help Rhodesia.
I still wouldn’t do the super springs either though unless you’re wanting to get rid of the airbags.
But again, drive it first before moving further with more mods.
Admittedly, that generation of F250 has fairly compliant rear springs. Based on the 2012 and 2015 models I had. You could lob the camper on there now and drive away and not be sitting on the bump stops. But the springs have a softer initial spring rate compared to what one would traditionally think of a HD truck.
You have more than enough tire (and rim if OE rims or at least not some cheap aftermarket ones) for the camper to sit on the truck for a day or 5 years. 19.5s would be overkill.

For frame of reference, we had Arctic Fox 860s sitting on a 2007 Dodge 2500 short bed.
4000lbs + ready to camp. Yes it needed airbags, sway bar and home made spring wedges. And with that it handled decent. But first trip out of the Gates with the first camper was camper loaded down heavy and a 7klb trailer on a 2’ hitch extension from Seattle to Anchorage. Just airbags and some 4000lb rated Toyos.
Took all 748 frost heaves between here and there like a champ!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody needs a F450. Gotta have it just in case, right? [emoticon]


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 Lance 845 ... We pack fairly light, but still run about 3000 lbs loaded. We haul it on a Chevy 2500HD w-60K miles on it and the only mod is Bilstein shocks. Never have an issue, highway or off-highway, although, we don't off-road much anymore.

BFG 285 AT 'E' Tires ...

Not sure why anyone beefs up a truck so much unless you have trouble hauling the weight you carry. Yes, safety is always an issue, and if it felt unsafe, we would beef it up. It doesn't. Could trucks hauling TC's use a few 'beefs', sure, but not always necessary. Driver training and driving care is always helpful if you need it.


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Rhodesia

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 02/12/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Glad to help Rhodesia.
I still wouldn’t do the super springs either though unless you’re wanting to get rid of the airbags.
But again, drive it first before moving further with more mods.
Admittedly, that generation of F250 has fairly compliant rear springs. Based on the 2012 and 2015 models I had. You could lob the camper on there now and drive away and not be sitting on the bump stops. But the springs have a softer initial spring rate compared to what one would traditionally think of a HD truck.
You have more than enough tire (and rim if OE rims or at least not some cheap aftermarket ones) for the camper to sit on the truck for a day or 5 years. 19.5s would be overkill.

For frame of reference, we had Arctic Fox 860s sitting on a 2007 Dodge 2500 short bed.
4000lbs + ready to camp. Yes it needed airbags, sway bar and home made spring wedges. And with that it handled decent. But first trip out of the Gates with the first camper was camper loaded down heavy and a 7klb trailer on a 2’ hitch extension from Seattle to Anchorage. Just airbags and some 4000lb rated Toyos.
Took all 748 frost heaves between here and there like a champ!


I pick up the camper on the 24th I take it down to the RV Suspension Shop and they will weight it with the camper and have the tank filled and so forth. again thank you and I will post what the results are.

Rhodesia

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 02/12/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

We have a 2008 Lance 845 ... We pack fairly light, but still run about 3000 lbs loaded. We haul it on a Chevy 2500HD w-60K miles on it and the only mod is Bilstein shocks. Never have an issue, highway or off-highway, although, we don't off-road much anymore.

BFG 285 AT 'E' Tires ...

Not sure why anyone beefs up a truck so much unless you have trouble hauling the weight you carry. Yes, safety is always an issue, and if it felt unsafe, we would beef it up. It doesn't. Could trucks hauling TC's use a few 'beefs', sure, but not always necessary. Driver training and driving care is always helpful if you need it.


Thank you very much for your input this is my first camper set up

Rhodesia

Oregon

New Member

Joined: 02/12/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Everybody needs a F450. Gotta have it just in case, right? [emoticon]


You are funny, that's why you only do one show a night, LOL

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just add a sway bar, that will help with the ride and corners, but be carfull of the trap "it came of a 3/4 ton so it should be just fine". there are lots of gvwraitings, and phisical weight differences with the 3/4 ton trucks. just year could change how much payload it can carry and how well. your right "generaly" you'll be fine but there are situations depending on the spec of the truck where you might not, so the only way to know is to put it on and try it out and decide what you need to do to get the ride the way you want it.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/15/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

there are lots of gvwraitings, and phisical weight differences with the 3/4 ton trucks.


The only differences are INCREASES in payload capacity ratings as the years go by.

The majority of the weight differences are UP FRONT. Empty rear axle weights are pretty consistent given a particular box size.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/15/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember too, carry enough water for your travels, then fill tank at destination. Thirty-six gallons equal 270 lbs. Save yourself 200 lbs with less water on the road. Shop main groceries often. Take minimal heavy tools. A few necessary tools, fine, but you can load up a few hundred pounds of metal if you overdo it. Pack light, laundry more often. Little things like that make a lighter load. You could save 500 lbs if you load TC and truck with a little forethought.

Think also, heavier weight cruising around local camping area roads at 30 mph is a lot less dangerous than heavy weight on a highway at 65 mph too. Load water and groceries at your location, and dump before you leave. Fill water at next CG.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > 2005 Lance 845
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.