cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid inverter

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
With my Magnum 3000 inverter, to aces the load share do one have both the charging and the inverting on at the same time? I want to be able to run my air conditioner of my Honda 2.2 companion, which it will but not if batteries are already low. Has resently installed 300A of lithium as a replacement for my 520A wet cells. Has got a easy start installed on air conditioning.
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
19 REPLIES 19

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Thanks all, this is our first trip since the lithium installation, have also just installed a Renogy 50A dc dc solar charger so this will help when truck is running. Have not had to drag out the generator yet but vill have a bit more of a play around with the A setting, glad to hear that the load share is automatically if inverter is on.
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, I have the same Magnum hybrid inverter. To your question, yes, it is automatic. Your unit will provide additional amperage from your batteries to the load if your generator is insufficient AND you have the inverter โ€œon.โ€
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

In order to enable load support, the inverter must be on.

The Magnum load support is NOT voltage support.

If we deal in amps--then VA won't be a consideration.

The Honda 2200 can do 18.3 amps, surge. Set the Magnum to 18 amps of input. (based on 120 volts--so you may have to check these numbers for Australia)

The Honda can do 15 amps, continuous. (1800 VA) (120 volts)

I found that as battery voltage degraded, the Magnum would eventually cause a 15 amp shore power breaker to trip, even with it set to draw only 13 amps.

If one wishes to "force" the Magnum to do voltage support, then drop the input amperage. At a campground in the summer I once, on a thirty amp feed, had to set the input amps to 12. That yielded 107 volts. The roof air was drawing 1900 watts. Fortunately, I had a large battery bank. The solar panels were helping out, too. The outside temperature was about 37 C. (98.6 F).

In hind sight, I believe I may have damaged the Magnum by "forcing" it to do voltage support.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
time2roll this is exactly what I am doing, the 15A cord goes in to the generator which powers the inverter and charger.do the load sharing happen automatically and I donโ€™t have to do anything?
Thanks Frank.

I have this inverter and use it everyday. You need to adjust your incoming load share. I have both a Honda eu2000i and eu2200i. Elevation will play a factor also. On my system I have 1,280w solar also, if I'm going to run my 15k A/C for long periods of time I'll set the incoming ac to 15a, the generator is power the A/C or the first 15a and solar picks up the balance of the draw if there is tv, humidifier, laptops and if the batteries need charging the balance of power being produced goes to them.

On occasion if I'm going to need to put a charge into the batteries I set the incoming ac to 15a and that will charge at 100a or whatever the balnce that isn't being used by loads running, this is with the eu2000i if using the eu2200i I could set it at 18a if I wanted.

You can experiment with the incoming ac by turning the nob that adjusts the incoming amps, start at 10a for instance, listen to the the generator noise, as you adjust up or down amps on the display you will here the generator either idle up or down.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
time2roll this is exactly what I am doing, the 15A cord goes in to the generator which powers the inverter and charger.do the load sharing happen automatically and I donโ€™t have to do anything?
Thanks Frank.
I don't have this inverter. However if you have limited amps to 15 then that is all it should pull off the generator and is within the generator rating. Yes the charger should limit charging amps such that no more than 15 amps is drawn from the generator.

However amps, watts and VA are all different things depending on what the load is. The generator overload is based on VA and needs to have some headroom to provide the additional apparent power required due to power factor. This may require the amps to be reduced 20% to 30% below the rating for the generator not to overload. Have you tried 12 amps? If it works try 13 amps the next day, then 14 and see what goes.

Member pianotuna has this inverter and says it works as described.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
The Honda will run the air conditioner ok, if batteries not down. I am probably mixing to issues together. I run the generator to charge batteries with the charger inbuilt in inverter, charges at about 100A. I also run generator to run air conditioner, but if batteries are down the load is to high for it. My setup is unique in as much as being in Australia we have 240V, so has a manual double trow treway switch, op 110V or generator, central of and down 240V true a step down transformer.
My question is the inverter has load sharing as if inverter canโ€™t support the load it will take some power from batteries, how do this work, is it automatically done .
You should be running the A/C and charging the batteries through the magnum. The Magnum has load sharing to supplement power from the battery to start the A/C. Once running all excess power will be used to charge the battery.

You are not going to run the A/C and charge the battery at 100 amps from a single 2200 generator. You can't get there from here.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
The Honda will run the air conditioner ok, if batteries not down. I am probably mixing to issues together. I run the generator to charge batteries with the charger inbuilt in inverter, charges at about 100A. I also run generator to run air conditioner, but if batteries are down the load is to high for it. My setup is unique in as much as being in Australia we have 240V, so has a manual double trow treway switch, op 110V or generator, central of and down 240V true a step down transformer.
My question is the inverter has load sharing as if inverter canโ€™t support the load it will take some power from batteries, how do this work, is it automatically done .

Proof read man. I'm not sure what you said.

Are you pulling 120v from your generator, running that thru a step-up transformer, and feeding 240v to the inverter? If you you are trying to pull too much from your generator. 15 amps at 240v on the output of the transformer requires 30 amps at 120v at the input.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Youtube has lots of videos on this. Perhaps that's where you need to go.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Magnum 3000W Hybrid inverter. You need to limit the input current from your generator (AC Input Amps), recommend you start with 15A with your generator, if at high altitudes or if the generator still trips adjust down further.

This will allow coach to draw 15A from generator, if AC needs more the inverter will provide (assuming you have switch on); if AC is not requiring that much the excess will go towards charging batteries).
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Check your manual. I'm not that familiar with the hybrid Magnums but I've put in many of the non-hybrid models. With the non hybrid models they are looking for a 240v split phase input. If you are only feeding it a 120v input then you have to set the max AC input setting to half what you want. If you want to only pull 15 amps at 120v you need to set the limit at 7.5. I think it only takes whole numbers so use 7 or 8 amps.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Just hit the charger button on the remote to turn off charging.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Has got a easy start installed on air conditioning.
Thanks Frank.

What brand ?

A Honda 2200 should start your A/C by itself. Having 2 loads (charging and A/C) are too much. Some how you have to turn off the charger while running the A/C.