Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Armchair Quarterbacks Unite! Stupid Stuff We've all Done...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Armchair Quarterbacks Unite! Stupid Stuff We've all Done...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving too fast in those conditions.
Many people make that mistake at least once.

Ive been binge watching rusian car crashes and speeding is the cause of most accidents
Driving while drunk is another
See John Connor chanel,,
surprisingly most people stop and help there,maybe its the law.?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

two things stand out to me in the vid was the person pulling the trailer was going way too fast for conditions and the silly mother in the vid screaming which will always upset little kids. Both should have known better.
Having pulled commercially with LDTs/heavy GN trailers for over 11 years I've been lucky with no dings. I've pulled in those conditions doing this type of work but I will not pull with a rv trailer. It sits a few hours till the roads are cleared.
How ever around the place here using tractors and farm/ranch equipment I've done the stupid type stunts you think about later....as being a real dumb thing to have done.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP - You're not getting much of what you asked for here, are you?

I'll play. Although I wish I didn't ever have to 'fess up to this.

It was on one of our very first trips with our very first "RV." A popup. I parked it. I detached. But it wasn't exactly in the spot I wanted it to be. I tried picking up the tongue to move it, but it was too heavy to lift. I asked my wife and two daughters to stand on the back bumper to lighten the tongue so I could move it. They innocently complied. Now I could pick up the tongue. But the trailer started to roll backward toward a 5- or 6-foot drop. Yeah. It's rolling backward; loved ones are standing on the back bumper; it's heading for a drop off. I quickly dropped the tongue, and luckily it stopped rolling.

I still have nightmarish thoughts thinking of that trailer rolling over one or more of my girls.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was smugly parading out of a overnight sleep parking location in my Big Dodge Diesel with our Big Camper and our Totally Badass Tires

Running the Cummins up to 1800 steady RPM to show everyone it is a manual...

Burping the exhaust brake on an upshift to show everyone I'm a Driver...

Sunglasses on...

Good thing they weren't too dark so I could see a man waving both arms in the cross wave universal "STOP!" signal...

So he could tell me to put the slide in...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With modern weather forecasts, not much excuse for running in bad weather and if you do get caught out, pull off and wait it out or crawl along to a safe spot.

But to play along: At a campground, the owner decided to help us back into our site. He's standing right next to my window, blocking the view in the mirrors and of the DW. He then proceeds to back me over a hump...5th wheel proceeds to meet truck bed rail.

Another time, we were parked and hanging out working and the park was helping someone into the pull thru site next to ours, the worker proceeded to direct them such that the trailer drug along the side of a tree scratching it up. To make matters worse, 3 days later, the worker helped another guy come in and did the exact same thing.

We no longer accept assistance from park workers.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

Saw this video on YouTube of a 5th wheel wreck.

Judging by the content of that channel, and that being one of only five videos, the last being "We bought a house", I do believe that wreck did, in fact, end their RVing adventure. [emoticon]

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

With modern weather forecasts, not much excuse for running in bad weather and if you do get caught out, pull off and wait it out or crawl along to a safe spot.

But to play along: At a campground, the owner decided to help us back into our site. He's standing right next to my window, blocking the view in the mirrors and of the DW. He then proceeds to back me over a hump...5th wheel proceeds to meet truck bed rail.

Another time, we were parked and hanging out working and the park was helping someone into the pull thru site next to ours, the worker proceeded to direct them such that the trailer drug along the side of a tree scratching it up. To make matters worse, 3 days later, the worker helped another guy come in and did the exact same thing.

I do it myself or I don't do it.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

We camped at a campground in Alabama where the owner INSISTED on guiding us into our site. It was a VERY tight fit, and I went along with it. (Didn't have much choice.) Mrs. S. and I have our system, and we do fine with it. Well, he's guiding me in and he's within earshot of me in the driver's seat. I'm backing up (slowly), and he kept saying (louder and louder), “You’re Good!” Interpreting this to mean I was heading in the right direction, I kept going. He kept getting louder, until he finally bellowed “STOP!!!” I stopped. He told me he wasn’t sure I was going to stop. I thought, “Hm. I stopped as soon as you told me to stop.” Later, as I was reflecting on it, I realized he was probably using the words, “You’re good” to mean “Stop.” Weird. With my normal partner she tells me to stop when she wants me to stop. I’m just glad he finally figured out the correct way to use the English language to get me to stop. It wouldn’t have been pretty to back into the huge tree that was back there.

-Speak

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

We camped at a campground in Alabama where the owner INSISTED on guiding us into our site. It was a VERY tight fit, and I went along with it. (Didn't have much choice.) Mrs. S. and I have our system, and we do fine with it. Well, he's guiding me in and he's within earshot of me in the driver's seat. I'm backing up (slowly), and he kept saying (louder and louder), “You’re Good!” Interpreting this to mean I was heading in the right direction, I kept going. He kept getting louder, until he finally bellowed “STOP!!!” I stopped. He told me he wasn’t sure I was going to stop. I thought, “Hm. I stopped as soon as you told me to stop.” Later, as I was reflecting on it, I realized he was probably using the words, “You’re good” to mean “Stop.” Weird. With my normal partner she tells me to stop when she wants me to stop. I’m just glad he finally figured out the correct way to use the English language to get me to stop. It wouldn’t have been pretty to back into the huge tree that was back there.

-Speak

We use hand signals and if I can't see her, I'm on the brakes. Avoids a lot of yelling. If there is something that can't be dealt with via hand signals, it's time to stop and confer at close range, not yelling but that's pretty rare.

Occasionally, you will get someone insistent upon helping, so I just watch her and ignore the verbal direction from the "professional".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Armchair Quarterbacks Unite! Stupid Stuff We've all Done...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.