cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SOLVED: Location of Starter Solenoid Switch: 2006 F53

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I was debugging an intermittent no crank problem and wanted to have a look at the Starter Solenoid Switch. Parts.ford.com says I have one but does not suggest a location. For various year F53s, some say passenger wheel well, radiator area, etc, but I don't see it. Following the positive battery lead or the starter positive lead is difficult and not helping. Does anyone have a location suggestion for the 2006 f53?

I generally like shop manuals and I assume they would suggest where it is located, however, prices for this one range from $700 - $1000 (amazon, eBay). Does anyone use the Chilton DIY service? Not sure if they would show such a thing but they are more reasonable.

http://repair.chiltondiy.com/Pub/DIY/Product.aspx?ca=Repair&b=118403

thanks very much for any ideas,
fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
7 REPLIES 7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
According to photos on Rockauto, the Ford starter has a solenoid similar to GMs.
Small relay is in control circuit and not the power circuit to operate starter motor.
Earlier models did have full amperage starter relays.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
There's no way that relay will handle the starter current. Keep looking.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was able to determine that somewhere between 2004 and 2006 they got rid of the traditional starter solenoid switch and replaced it with a starter motor relay. It is in a relay compartment on the exterior firewall. I was just looking for the wrong thing that would have large cable going to it.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Engine firewall

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most of the relays adjacent to the batteries are battery disconnects.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Y-Guy
Pretty sure mine is located in with my batteries, never really gone looking for it just general observation from memory when I've been working on the batteries.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Trace the large cable from chassis battery or trace battery cable back from starter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow