cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sat cable

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi i am getting ready to use a dish playmaker and I noticed that ist said I need a special cable think it was NG6? do I have to use that type or will a regular coax cable be okay? I am okay with buying if need just have lot of coax lying around.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi thanks for the info look at manual again said if using more what it came with 25' of coax use RG6 with max of 50 '.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Are you sure it didn't say RG-6? RG-6 is "regular" TV coax, has been for at least 20 years. The stuff to avoid is RG-59 which was "regular" TV coax back in the 80's and 90's.

Marginal difference in signal loss between RG-59 and RG-6. I prefer RG-6 because it is a bit larger/heavier so it stand up better to physical abuse.

If you are planing on making your own cable or you do not trust the end on your existing cable. DO IT RIGHT ! Buy Snap-N-Seal connectors (RG-59 connectors have a red collar and RG-6 connectors have a blue collar). You will have to buy a special tool to install the connector. Prices range from about $20 to over $100.

EDIT : Over 100' of cable and at 400MHz (approximate middle of the digital TV band) the loss on RG-59 is 7.0 dB vs 4.3 dB.

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Reason behind certain cable usage is most new cables have electric injected and the older cables carry electric to power the satellite motors in the line.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RG-6 and though I highly recommend it RG-59 is ok for short runs (20-30 feet total) The loss factors are much higher with 59 so 25 feet of 59 (Depending on how good) can have as much loss as 100-200 feet of RG-6 (Also depending on how good)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Regular coax will do if your signal is ok.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it didn't say RG-6? RG-6 is "regular" TV coax, has been for at least 20 years. The stuff to avoid is RG-59 which was "regular" TV coax back in the 80's and 90's.