cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling jacks

bob_proctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32 ft Motor Home with hydralic leveling jacks. They extend ok but on retract the right rear jack returns all but 2 inches. This causes the jacks down alarm to buzz and the red lite keeps flashing. These are hydralic down and spring return. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MountainAir05 wrote:
I agree, clean them and then use some 5606 or other transmission fluid and lube them heavy. Then run the jacks up /down a few times. Then wipe them with a clean cloth to get the excess fluid off. Install the new taper springs. Might take a few time with the spray down with fluid and cycle them and wipe them clean, and you should not have a hanging jack. Our last from 1999 to 2018 when we trade it for a newer model using this method. I work 23+ years with aircraft and this spray down and clean every time they flew and when they no longer worked the landing gear was torn down and new O-rings were installed. Then start over again. The seal need some type of lube. I am sure that newer jacks should have a newer type seal so maybe they have improve on the lube system.

You are talking about HWH. With a BAD inner cylinder seal, replacing the springs will not fix a sticking problem. Regardless, IF your HWH springs are NOT tapered, you need to replace all 8 with tapered springs. The non tapered have lost their tensile strength. Tapered came about around 14 or 15 years ago.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I should have mentioned OLDER Powergear did not have the Grease Zircs Here is a pic of what it looks like. Doug
This is the bottom rebuild replacement collar .
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-359460-Service-Retain/dp/B06Y6343ZL

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, clean them and then use some 5606 or other transmission fluid and lube them heavy. Then run the jacks up /down a few times. Then wipe them with a clean cloth to get the excess fluid off. Install the new taper springs. Might take a few time with the spray down with fluid and cycle them and wipe them clean, and you should not have a hanging jack. Our last from 1999 to 2018 when we trade it for a newer model using this method. I work 23+ years with aircraft and this spray down and clean every time they flew and when they no longer worked the landing gear was torn down and new O-rings were installed. Then start over again. The seal need some type of lube. I am sure that newer jacks should have a newer type seal so maybe they have improve on the lube system.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You MUST post Brand of Jacks. I will assume Powergear. If so, look underneath at the bottom collar where the silver piston goes in the housing. SEE if there is a Grease Zirc. If so inject standard chassis grease into the Zirc until you see the lower seal start to bulge or you see the grease starting to come out. THAT will fix most Powergear fail to retract the last 2 inches. Do all 4 or 3 Jacks. Some have 3 jacks and some have 4 jacks. IF HWH the only lasting fix is to replace the sticking cylinder with a new or rebuilt jack cylinder. Doug

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Doug Grainger gives the best information, perhaps he will join this thread.

You should have the new tapered springs installed.

I've been advised not to use WD-40, but to wash the extended jacks with soap and water, and perhaps use a bit of automatic transmission fluid, carefully wiped off.

The right rear jack on my HWH 625 Series occasionally does not fully retract, or takes a very long time. I've actually driven the MH a bit to help it retract, and have resorted to "helping" it with a 2x4 pry bar.

My alarm sounded for 1,100 miles once with the jacks retracted. It was a Friday afternoon, with no RV repair facilities available. I called Coach-Net and they put my in touch with HWH that could not help much, but I did get several calls from them trying to advise me where I could find the fuse to shut the alarm off. They asked me what day the HWH system was installed? I said that I had not idea. . . They said, then it could be anywhere. Good luck. I eventually had to install a new control unit (which I'm not sure that I needed?)
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
first you should extend the jacks and clean them with WD 40. You should also consider replacing the springs because the are more than likely original and my be getting weak.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows