cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yummy!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So finishing getting the new-used camper ready today.
Toilet valve was leaking. Bought a new one. Replaced it. Seemed odd a virtually new valve was leaking but this trailer is basically in its honeymoon albeit 4 years later. Basically new, hardly used.
Well it wasnโ€™t the valve but the crimped on hose clamp. At least I have a spare nowโ€ฆ
Running the toilet valve a bunch and sending a fair amount of water south with a couple fart fans on, ye old black tank sure didnโ€™t smell un-usedโ€ฆ.
Soโ€™s I go to filling and cleaning the tanks. All of them. Black tank flush is pretty cool btw! May as well freshen up the potable tank too since it smelled a little funky as well.
Get everything full of water, buncha soap in the dirty tanks and some chlorine in the clean tank, take a little drive around to perfect the washing machine action.
Go dump the black and gray tanks and holee sheet!
Prev ownerโ€™s pristine camper came with gifts!
Unbelievableโ€ฆ.Really?
I totally believe the PO when he said it hasnโ€™t even been used since like 2018.
I cant believe he didnโ€™t even dump and clean the tanks halfway decent before parking it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I cant believe he didnโ€™t even dump and clean the tanks halfway decent before parking it!"

That may haunt you for a while with chunks breaking loose.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And canโ€™t complain. Iโ€™ll take a used camper that is โ€œnewโ€ for half the cost of a new new one all day long!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
campigloo wrote:
But on the sweet side you knew how to deal with it!

Lol yeah , Iโ€™m pretty well versed at dealing with s h I t!
Only bad part was I snuggled the camper up to the woods at the top of the driveway. We live in a secluded area despite being in suburbia.
Just like I normally would to dump tanks that arenโ€™t full of black tank matterโ€ฆ.
Didnโ€™t expect that outcome.
Had to go reapply herbicide there as the blackberries grew 4โ€™ in the next week in that spot!!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
But on the sweet side you knew how to deal with it!

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine rented a trailer from a dealership and after setting up camp, I checked the tank lights and they were 3/4 full. Hook back up and go to dump station then setup again. When he returned it they gave him a hefty discount. He has since bought a trailer and we all harass him about hauling other peopleโ€™sโ€”โ€”โ€”โ€” around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Gross? Noooo, heck I told the family halfway through a meatloaf dinner!

No, PO was just a negligent slob. I believe his stated use, which was 1 camping trip back in, idk, 2017 or 2018, and a few weeks of nightly use as a spare bedroom only.

This camper was/is basically brand new and 4 years old, but the PO's knowledge and life of "give a rip" about it was very low.

Consider, once I put enough gas in the gas tank to get the fuel station to work, what first came out of the tank also looked like it should have come out of the black tank!! PO never put ANY gas in it. In fact he swore it was a LP fired generator.

He just didn't dump the black tank, pretty sure of it and my adding water and messing with the systems stirred up some old crud!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit, don't be to hard on the previous owner.:). He may have thought the tanks were clean BUT:

Many times, "stuff" gets left behind when dumping, even with using the tank rinse. This is usually in the corners of the tank or just on either side of the dump valve location in the lowest part of the tank.

I have found the best way to get this stuff out, is to use a "down thru the toilet" wand to blast the stuff out. It usually takes quite a long time with spraying down there to get the job done. I used to do it at least once per season right at the end before we returned home from our snowbird site and still do the same thing today after our last camping weekend of the season. We have a built in tank rinser that I use every dump but the stuff still seems to accumulate in the locations mentioned.

I used a wand similar to this one except mine had three holes in the end for the water to come out of. I like this one better as it should be easier to "aim" at the poo piles and probably give a stronger blast of water.

The first time I used this it took quite a while to stop the pieces from coming out - probably old dried "stuff" being broken up by the water blast. Subsequent years it did not take nearly as long.

Hope you find the above helpful and not too gross! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I traded in our old 5th wheel in March. When I told the dealer that I had dumped all the tanks, the comment was "good, thank you because very few do that".
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha!
I supposeโ€ฆ.Never thought about it though.
At least this wasnโ€™t anywhere near full. But Iโ€™m guessing there were a few gifts left down there that werenโ€™t delivered. By the um substance when I dumped it :E

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
So finishing getting the new-used camper ready today.
Toilet valve was leaking. Bought a new one. Replaced it. Seemed odd a virtually new valve was leaking but this trailer is basically in its honeymoon albeit 4 years later. Basically new, hardly used.
Well it wasnโ€™t the valve but the crimped on hose clamp. At least I have a spare nowโ€ฆ
Running the toilet valve a bunch and sending a fair amount of water south with a couple fart fans on, ye old black tank sure didnโ€™t smell un-usedโ€ฆ.
Soโ€™s I go to filling and cleaning the tanks. All of them. Black tank flush is pretty cool btw! May as well freshen up the potable tank too since it smelled a little funky as well.
Get everything full of water, buncha soap in the dirty tanks and some chlorine in the clean tank, take a little drive around to perfect the washing machine action.
Go dump the black and gray tanks and holee sheet!
Prev ownerโ€™s pristine camper came with gifts!
Unbelievableโ€ฆ.Really?
I totally believe the PO when he said it hasnโ€™t even been used since like 2018.
I cant believe he didnโ€™t even dump and clean the tanks halfway decent before parking it!

Yuck! A couple of years ago we were looking at used units at a local dealer and we commented about how dirty they were. The salesperson didn't even flinch, but went on to tell us that we wouldn't believe how many units are traded in with full holding tanks....
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Speaking of yummy, genset was basically never used either. Had 8 hours on it when we bought it and the PO said he only put on a couple, figured the dealer mustโ€™ve run it when he had it in for warranty work in 2018. He actually thought it was a propane generator and said he never added gas to the tank. Lol
When I got it, genny actually ran on the 4 year old gas, but rough. Dumped in 5 gal and a healthy dose of seafoam and it cleaned up. Tossed another 5ver of AV gas in it today and tried the gas pump since the needle finally came off empty. What came out of the gas pump initially was nothing short of gross. The first quart or so looked like something between dark colored urine and slightly used motor oil!
Pumped out another gallon or so and it cleaned up to a nice light yellowโ€ฆpretty bad considering there was 5 gallons of clear 87 and 5 gallons of blue gas just put in the tank.