cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damage while moving

draketour
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't in town to move my travel trailer from one location to another, my wife took care it. However she said she paid someone and only has their name and phone number. He apparently damaged the trailer's exterior pretty bad while moving it to the new spot. He's been reluctant to cooperate with helping get the damage fixed and now won't return calls or texts at all.

Has anyone else has a similar situation? Have you tried going to court over it? Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could do? This happened in Florida.
19 REPLIES 19

robertpeters
Explorer
Explorer
Something like this can happen to each of us, with regret. A discussion from which the rest of us can learn. I hope that this situation has been resolved well.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone is assuming the mover did it but is it not possible it was damaged before or after the move? How much time went buy before and after without owner seeing his rv?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Much like your car, your insurance is in full effect if someone else is operating it with your permission. This was the case here, right? So, the outcome should be pretty much the same as if you damaged it yourself. You'll need to eat the deductible, which you 'could' try to collect from the actual operator, but I sure wouldn't count on it. Just hoping you have a good insurance carrier that won't fight you.

Since this is posted in the Travel Trailer section I will have to assume we are talking a Travel Trailer.

Here is the rub about Travel trailer and insurance..

IF you do not have a dedicated Travel Trailer Insurance policy or extended auto policy with RV/Trailer coverage you have zero coverage unless the Travel trailer is fully attached to a vehicle.

You get nothing, nada, zip, zilch coverage.

When your Travel trailer is sitting on your own home ground your homeowners insurance will often cover with partial coverage up to what ever limitations may be in the policy.

If your Travel trailer is sitting on a campground lot unattached from your vehicle you have nothing, nada, zip no coverage unless you have a RV/Trailer insurance or extended RV/Trailer insurance on your auto insurance.

The helpful person that towed that RV/Trailer, their insurance may or may not cover any damage depending on their policies limitations, but that is while the trailer is attached to their vehicle.. Once unhitched, their auto insurance is not going to pay one red cent.

The helpful persons auto insurance most likely will not pay on red cent if that person accepted any money or was willing to accept compensation for said services (that is the same as a business transaction and most personal auto insurance will not pay one red cent if a personal vehicle is used for business purposes).

While we can argue many points here in this thread, it isn't going to fix the damage that has happened, it isn't going to make it whole again.

Only the OP of the thread knows the full story and only the OP of the thread will have to decide if they wish to be the bigger person and see if their insurance covers or not and if not make repairs on their own and move on.

RVs can be repaired or replaced, lives cannot, no one was killed or hurt and much better to use it as a learning experience and not repeat the same thing again down the road.

So then, why would someone NOT have separate coverage on the trailer? It would be kind of foolish not to insure an investment with as much value as a travel trailer, wouldn't it? And, of course, if there is a lien on it, insurance must be carried to satisfy the requirements of the lender, but this may or may not be the case here.

Just common sense as I see it . . . much like insuring your car.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Much like your car, your insurance is in full effect if someone else is operating it with your permission. This was the case here, right? So, the outcome should be pretty much the same as if you damaged it yourself. You'll need to eat the deductible, which you 'could' try to collect from the actual operator, but I sure wouldn't count on it. Just hoping you have a good insurance carrier that won't fight you.

Since this is posted in the Travel Trailer section I will have to assume we are talking a Travel Trailer.

Here is the rub about Travel trailer and insurance..

IF you do not have a dedicated Travel Trailer Insurance policy or extended auto policy with RV/Trailer coverage you have zero coverage unless the Travel trailer is fully attached to a vehicle.

You get nothing, nada, zip, zilch coverage.

When your Travel trailer is sitting on your own home ground your homeowners insurance will often cover with partial coverage up to what ever limitations may be in the policy.

If your Travel trailer is sitting on a campground lot unattached from your vehicle you have nothing, nada, zip no coverage unless you have a RV/Trailer insurance or extended RV/Trailer insurance on your auto insurance.

The helpful person that towed that RV/Trailer, their insurance may or may not cover any damage depending on their policies limitations, but that is while the trailer is attached to their vehicle.. Once unhitched, their auto insurance is not going to pay one red cent.

The helpful persons auto insurance most likely will not pay on red cent if that person accepted any money or was willing to accept compensation for said services (that is the same as a business transaction and most personal auto insurance will not pay one red cent if a personal vehicle is used for business purposes).

While we can argue many points here in this thread, it isn't going to fix the damage that has happened, it isn't going to make it whole again.

Only the OP of the thread knows the full story and only the OP of the thread will have to decide if they wish to be the bigger person and see if their insurance covers or not and if not make repairs on their own and move on.

RVs can be repaired or replaced, lives cannot, no one was killed or hurt and much better to use it as a learning experience and not repeat the same thing again down the road.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Your problem is you can't prove he did it. No one inspected it before and after move. Let your insurance deal with it.

^^^This^^

No "proof" with before moving pictures and after moving pictures, basically a "he says, she says" type of issue.

It is sad that the driver is not willing to acknowledge the aftermath of the move. If the driver was not working as a fully insured transporter business (a "friend of a friend" with a pickup type of thing) they most likely do not have insurance that will cover the damages caused by the act of transporting and basically it is up to you or your insurance to make it right.

While it would be nice if the driver would step up and be willing to share some of the repair cost as a goodwill gesture, I wouldn't count on it especially if it was a non paid for out of the heart kindness gesture that they were asked to do a favor for..

Check with your insurance company to see if the repairs will be covered by your insurance and if not, move on, and pay out of your pocket for the repairs and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your problem is you can't prove he did it. No one inspected it before and after move. Let your insurance deal with it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Admin
Please be careful OP and others

Forum rules;

"Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits."

Very strictly enforced
Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
He's going to claim he was an "employee" and wife "hired" him. His employer (you) pays for any damage done by his employee.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you had it fully insured.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
All you have to prove is that the mover caused the damage. All the mover has to prove is the damage was already there. How does one win that scenario? Did your wife take any before/after photos? Probably not. Let your insurance company take care of it and move on.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, that's a bummer. Agree, insurance is your best or only recourse if this was a cash job.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Likely your insurance is your only option. Give them his name and number and let them handle it.

You could sue, but would probably not be worth the time and money, and even if you get a judgement the likelihood of collecting may be small.

What did he hit?
Someone else's personal property?
Is there someone out there looking for a vehicle involved in a hit and run?
I would never allow a stranger with only a phone number to touch my RV.
I doubt you will get satisfaction. An expensive lesson for you.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com