cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got lucky with my water tank this weekend

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camping without water hook-ups this weekend. When we do this we fill the 85 gallon tank at home before we leave the house. We've been doing this since we got the trailer in 2010. We get to the campground and after about 3 gallons of use we are out of water. Pump is pulling air. Now when I travel with the tank full we do lose some out of the over flow tubes but I've never lost a whole tank full. I thought just maybe something strange happened and it managed to get a siphon going and drained it all.

I got some new 5 gallon buckets and used the winterizing tube to pump water back into the tank. When I got to 40 gallons the water started coming out of the over flow tubes. Something's not right. So I start troubleshooting in my head. Overflow tubes in to deep? Cracked pick-up line if it is mounted in from the top of the tank?

So we get home and I decided to fill the tank and measure how much the pump would empty out of it. 40 gallons and it started pulling air again. So now my plan was to drain and measure from the tanks drain. I crawl under the trailer and see the problem. The side of the tank away from the pickup for the pump is laying on the axles. Out of 4 flat steel "straps" that were holding the tank the only one with both screws holding it was the one nearest the pumps pickup.

From the factory they used 8 self drilling/self taping screws to hold up 680 lbs of water. Luckily nothing got broken or went sliding down the highway. The funny thing is right next to where they ran the screws through the supports, they had used a torch to blow holes big enough to put bolts through. I'm guessing bolts are what was specked for the installation but the installer had the same screws they used to hold up the coroplast handy so that is what he used.

It is now held up with 8 bolts with washers and lock nuts. Cost of repair is right around $25. Might go up another $10 if I go buy new self drilling screws to put the coroplast back up because the locations where the old screws were got torn out from the tank dropping.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
12 REPLIES 12

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
cougar28 wrote:
Ok I want to apologize to the OP and anyone else who it may have been offended by my post. Just struck me as funny when I read it.

You didn't offend me one little bit. And I hope I didn't offend you by joking back with you.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
Ok I want to apologize to the OP and anyone else who it may have been offended by my post. Just struck me as funny when I read it.

Apparently some here are "Sensitive". Personally, I thought it was funny as Hell.

But then, I'm old and don't give a **** about feelings.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
cougar28 wrote:
Am I the only one that got a laugh out of the OP's subject line? LOL

Only people from Arkansas think like that.....LOL..Are you still laughing?

Says the person from Pennsyltucky who also caught it haha.
Puma 30RKSS

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
cougar28 wrote:

LOL
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
cougar28 wrote:

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was years ago. I'm sure I would never come up with the correct password at this point. It was an easy fix. With the bolts in place it isn't going anywhere.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Are you a member of Open Range Owners Forum?

There are many discussion of your exact issue and fixes for it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"From the factory they used 8 self drilling/self taping screws to hold up 680 lbs of water."

That was plenty of screws for eleven years! But don't blame the factory workers...that was a designer's doing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Floor jockeys are NOT certified techs by am stretch of the imagination

They are piece-mill workers...paid by number of items installed per shift

QC checks to see if graphics are on, no open holes (roof a/c, windows, door) and that it rolls out the door.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing that it lasted 10 years before failing!

With the rush to build units and fill orders during the boom, I'm be seriously worried about buying a late-2020 or 2021 model, I bet this kind of shortcut is common.