cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer brake issue

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
2017 f350 diesel and 2014 voltage 3305 toyhauler.
I am getting a prompt on my screen when hooked up and I pull the brake controller it shows TRAILER DISCONECTED.
Any ideas? Bought some diaelctric grease and will apply some and was thinking maybe a ground issue??
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Update.
Crawled under this morning to take a look. Sure enough, a broken wire in the rear axle hub driver side . A quick fix with a crimp and tape to work for the trip until I make a better permanent fix. the other 3 were in tact and looked good although the cheap wire job went to one axle and pigtailed over ....... junk!!!!

With covid and a bad fractured ankle 16 months ago I did not use trailer a lot for past 2 years and did not notice things but knew braking was not right....... my fault for sure. I figure I was running with only braking on my front axle!!!!!

While getting started this morning I notice my front tire on passenger side of trailer has 2 good size pieces of the rib missing . These are Sailun 3607 good tires I put on 6 years ago. Glad I saw it!!!!!! Dropped the spare and looked at that piece of junk and thought no way!!!

Called a local reputable shop and they had 4 sailuns left and had me installed 2 hours later . Great shout out to Kal tire!!!!!
I did have about 35,000 k on the first sailuns so no complaints there.
Thanks to all you who helped out.
Safe travels!!!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherman wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
Don't use dielectric grease!
Use contact cleaner / lube.

Why no dielectric grease?

Dielectric grease is actually an "insulator" for lack of better words, do not use it between points of contact.

The point of the grease is to prevent corrosion of the terminals. Corrosion is a much more effective insulator than the grease is.

The downfall of grease is that it catches and holds dirt so some effort to prevent contamination when the connectors are not plugged in is beneficial.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Below link might help some understand HOW2 us dielectric grease on electrical contacts.

https://www.thedrive.com/maintenance-repair/39173/dielectric-grease

Or lookup "electrical contact wiping", which has the mating contacts "wipe" against themselved.

This wipes off oxidation to get metal to metal.

Dielectric Grease gets wiped off during that mating and whatever grease is left will seal the connection.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
WNYBob wrote:

Dielectric grease is actually an "insulator" for lack of better words, do not use it between points of contact.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer recommends the use of dielectric grease...checkout their HOW2 on the link below

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-dielectric-grease.aspx
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
This was happening to me and I simply cleaned and re-bent the contacts from trailer to truck connection and problem fixed

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Most all of the similar problems helped others withโ€ฆended up with the trailer wiring.

Most common was the harness to the drum brake.

2nd most is the routing and some trailer OEMs uses daisy-chain.

After unplugging & cleaning contacts & applying dia electric grease most were better.

Best has been to retire the trailer with dedicated runs from each wheel brake directly to a central point by the coupler.

If you go that route, increase the wire gauge and only use ringlugsโ€ฆNEVER tap connectors (they were invented for telephone useโ€ฆa static application)
-Ben Picture of my rig

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Picked trailer up to tow home for a trip in a few days. Blew air through pig tails and cleaned them up and did add some grease.
Read about choosing electric over the electric over hydraulic option through the settings screen. Tried that and still see trailer disconnected?????
Then I switch to electric over hydraulic and it shows connected and gain setting at 10 and there is braking but it is poor.

Looking that I need to check the wires at the wheels under trailer. All original and probably dirty and corroded.
38 degrees C here
Don't feel like getting under trailer at all right now!!!
Have a few days prior to trip so will check tomorrow when it is cooler in the AM.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes the connector gets a little wore out. You have to expand the connections a little so they are tighter (or replace the ends).

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies
Will look into it after work

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My "trailer disconnected" warning shows up when the trailer umbilical cord looses contact with the truck receptacle.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE