cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator Headscratcher

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic RM1350 gas-electric refrigerator. I always travel with the unit operating on gas, with never a problem. Yesterday started on a 500 mile trip, I know, too long !! Anyway, stopped to fix lunch and the fridge was flashing E-3 code. Checked and the one propane tank was empty. I changed over to the other tank, turned the other one on and started the fridge. I went out and heard the unit light. Thought everything was alright. Stopped a couple of hours later and the code was flashing again. Reset again figuring there was air in the line. When we stopped for the night, the code was flashing again. Reset and started again and it ran all night(8 1/2 hours), cooled everything down nicely. Off we go this morning, stopped after about an hour, the E-3 code flashing again. What could be causing this problem?
I would thing if wind was blowing it out, it should reignite itself. Help, I am puzzled.
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running out of propane cause one cylinder went empty and other one valved out would NOT throw an E-3 Error Code
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like I said, whatever works best for you...

I'll just check the gauge from time to time and when it turns RED, switch to the other tank and then fill the empty one.

But, I'm only a long weekend camper, so I'm always looking at the gauge and turning them off and on between trips, so I'm looking at them all the time.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
With only one open, I know when it is empty. I use very little propane.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why did you only have one tank turned on? I've been using the auto switch over forever and has never failed me..

Yes, you do have to check it from time to time... ๐Ÿ™‚

Each to their own on what they do of course, so if that method works for you, great.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Did fire up the stove for awhile and ran the fridge for over 8 hours, before hitting the road.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not believe in the old "Air in the lines" but.. Sice you have removable tanks would not hurt to fire up a propane gobbler like the water heater or the stove top for a few minutes just in case.. That could be the problem

Then there are more expensive options.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
E-3 error code
The boiler housing thermal switch has tripped.
See photo pointing to the switch, there is a reset button between the red and yellow wires in the photo that will reset this device.

BUT if tripped that shuts down all DC to fridge so nothing works

Is that what you have been 'resetting'?????

If that is the case your cooling unit is developing obstruction/blockages and overheating therefore the temp switch is tripping

Although operating while moving is typically NOT an issue I noticed that the fridge worked fine when parked overnight/stationary and the E-3 events were happening when travel.
That suggests that the coolant IS overheating due to gravity flow being interrupted ---- are you traveling on steep grades?

Once coolant has been overheated...crystals form and plate out obstructing natural flow...more overheating events/more crystals/more plating out/more obstructions---etc
Accumulative and permanent
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
And maybe purge the lines by firing up the stove.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Try this thread

Google says you either need to reset it, or cooling unit failed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman