Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: 16% Road incline!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 16% Road incline!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Granting it's only under 2 miles -- the long steep climbs are where the truck engine whines and becomes iffy[emoticon]

The dreaded Tioga Pass from Lee Vining to Toulomne, 120 Merced to Yosemite, I-80 to Donner Summit, I-5 Grapevine, I-15 Cajon Pass, Conway Summit in Highway 395... are, if I recall correctly, are just 6%.

Anything else out there steeper and more challenging?

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Anything else out there steeper and more challenging?
That's a bad one. Worst I've found was 18% - a residential street in Seattle, but in normal travels, no, I can't imagine 16%.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take the Old Priest route, yes. Otherwise 120 doesn't get to 16% or even close. RVs and trucks are not allowed on Old Priest.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Nine mile canyon road off 395 at Pearsonville. Solid 10% for nine miles with a few 15 mph curves to break any momentum. The top part makes up some of the easier spots at the start. Ebbetts pass 24%, Sonora Pass 26%. 190 into the north end of DVNP is a sustained 9% so you can also test your cooling system in 120+ heat. You will know your limit when you are full throttle in low gear and losing speed into the TC slipping.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Information please on 17?? My daughter son-in-law and grands will be driving from Arizona to Utah on 17 beginning very early Wednesday morning. Thanks in advance!!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

If you take the Old Priest route, yes. Otherwise 120 doesn't get to 16% or even close. RVs and trucks are not allowed on Old Priest.

I always look at it whenever I use the 120 and wonder how bad it is to not allow trucks.

I would want to try it though someday with the RV hitch, lol.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Try Nine mile canyon road off 395 at Pearsonville. Solid 10% for nine miles with a few 15 mph curves to break any momentum. The top part makes up some of the easier spots at the start. Ebbetts pass 24%, Sonora Pass 26%. 190 into the north end of DVNP is a sustained 9% so you can also test your cooling system in 120+ heat. You will know your limit when you are full throttle in low gear and losing speed into the TC slipping.

You win! LOL

You must be the true Californian.

I thought I've already explored all the byways of California, including those where you are driving for an hour and never encountered a soul, but these ones are I'm very fortunate not to pass by.[emoticon]

So the 6% max grade are only for freeways?

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA 487 between Ricketts Glen State Park & Red Rock, PA includes a 2 mile 18% grade.
[image]

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6% is the general limit for interstates. I70 has some 7% up to the tunnel. Could be some others but not many.

When I was young I rode my bike up the east side of Sonora with a buddy. Scary was coming back down.

* This post was edited 06/14/21 04:32pm by time2roll *

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High Bar road descending into the Fraser Canyon, British Columbia, has 23% grade sign at the top.

https://xpedbc.com/2017/08/27/time-travel-in-the-cariboo/

Half way down I stopped for a breather. The front wheels (on my suv) were too hot to touch.

The Hill to Bella Coola is only 10-11%, but longer. I've seen a pickup camper with a brake fire at the bottom.

Rennell Sound road on Haida Gwaii has 24% grade at the bottom

http://britishcolumbia.com/plan-your-tri........rthern-bc-and-haida-gwaii/rennell-sound/

Long Canyon in Utah (near Dead Horse State Park, Moad) is a good for testing your brakes or low-range.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-ame........a/6502-long-canyon-road-pucker-pass.html

* This post was edited 06/14/21 04:46pm by paulj *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 16% Road incline!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.