cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

93 North out of Vegas

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
Is it two lane north out of Vegas all the way to Idaho? Are there any grades? Regular passing lanes? It shows quicker route but I don't want to be stressed about passing, slowing traffic, or impatient folks passing where they shouldn't. And I'm sure it's toasty up that route in July as well. TIA
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
😞
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
I like the "half diverging diamond" label -- is that a technical term? Whatever you call it, this particular interchange is tricky -- there are multiple uncontrolled crossover points in a very confined area.

But it is true that there is not much traffic!
Last I was through the underpass was backed up and crazy busy. 20 minute wait for a pump at Love's. Not exactly a low price either.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the "half diverging diamond" label -- is that a technical term? Whatever you call it, this particular interchange is tricky -- there are multiple uncontrolled crossover points in a very confined area.

But it is true that there is not much traffic!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Google Maps images are bit out of date, but it appears that they've implemented half a diverging diamond interchange. US93 traffic appears to run on opposite sides under the freeway, and then make a switch on the north side. Normally in a diverging diamond that crossing would be controlled by a light. Either that light is still to come, or they think traffic isn't heavy enough to warrant one.

I-515 @ Horizon Drive is a full diverging diamond in LV area.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
One more thought about the turnoff from 15 to 93 -- they recently re-engineered the interchange, and it is now pretty confusing! Pay close attention while exiting the 15, especially if you are traveling at night.
Agreed. Almost hit a semi there.
It seems traffic engineers all over have lost all common sense.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more thought about the turnoff from 15 to 93 -- they recently re-engineered the interchange, and it is now pretty confusing! Pay close attention while exiting the 15, especially if you are traveling at night.
About our trailer

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, the two stations in Alamo always are cheaper for diesel than in the Vegas area.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
PS -- as you turn off 15 onto 93, there is a Love's fuel stop at the intersection.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were surprised by how scenic this road was -- not what we expected. Very pleasant and stress-free drive -- very little traffic.
About our trailer

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use this route twice a year with a dually crew cab and 40 foot fiver. Great road. But do use the Rt. 318 cut-off. It will not only save you 40 miles but several pulls on US. 93. When coming into Ely there is an Indian Truck Stop to the right when you get to the traffic light at Rt 6 and US 93. About a mile from traffic light and on left side of road. They have put in several sites by the gas station or if you want, they let you park overnight at the back of the parking lot. Quiet and a beautiful starry sky.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
It's a great road. You'll want to take the 318 cutoff to save quite a few miles. The shoulders are very steep in most places.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a good road. Yes two lanes the whole way. Easy grade as you head into Ely. Always seems cooler than I expect. People seem to be good about passing and very light traffic. Watch your fuel as there are a couple spots 100 miles between stations.

+1 for the 318 short cut. There are a few small towns to respect the speed limit. We are on this road about every year. Have been around to the east and west and this 93 is the best.

There is a decent GoodSam campground called Valley View just north of Ely if you want to break the journey into two days.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
After the first couple of miles north of I-15 it's 2 lane most all the way to Twin Falls.
Not to worry, though. There are numerous passing lanes, and the visibility is so far that the speedies can just zoom right by you. That and that traffic is very light.
All the grades along that route are gentle.
Take Nevada 318 between Ash Springs and Ely to save 40 miles. The final hill into Ely is not difficult.