cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion east - North Rim or Page ?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Looking East from Zion, there is plenty to see appreciate your suggestions as well.

My question is about routing - We came down from Moab through Escalante and I'm a little tired of steep grades. How's the road (89A) to the north rim? How's cell service going down there?

The other option is to take 89 to Page, and see the Dam (but not Antelope Canyon since it's closed) - deferring the North Rim for another trip. I'm guessing grades and cell reception is better on this route -?

Thanks in advance!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
4 REPLIES 4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
89A has about 6 mi of 6% grade. Not a big deal compared to Escalante.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wasn't impressed with the Page area. And now with the very significant water shortage and Lake Powell being 35% full I would have no interest in going there.

We were stunned at how low the Colorado River flow was at Parker last week. News reports say mandatory 15% reduction of water usage beginning in Jan. Lake Mead is down 170' and that also means hydro electric power capability has significant reduction.

We have camped at N Rim and Jacob Lake which has good access to N Rim.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed at Page a few weeks ago then headed to Hurricane for a few days. While at Page we went to the North Rim via 89, 89a, and 67 now we drove the car but there were no large grades that I can remember.

I really did not think the North Rim was worth the 2.5 hr drive from Page. Maybe the weather (cold and very windy) maybe the main sightseeing road in the park was closed due to down trees.

Lake Powell and the **** was a good drive. Hiking to "horseshoe bend" was ok and worth it. For eats in Page Big Johns Texas BBQ

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
89A south bound climb isn't too bad, but from North Rim to 89 is pretty steep down grade.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker