Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Torklift camper tie down width question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift camper tie down width question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, most of the upgrades are done and we will be on our first trip soon with the old camper and new torklift mounts.

Curious, the mounts have two holes as options for the width of the tie downs.

Is there a performance or safety difference depending on which width you select. Obviously, if there is interference with the camper or the truck you are limited.

But, if that is not an issue, does having them inboard provide a better result or is there no cost/benefit between the two locations?

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triangulate as much as possible to prevent camper movement. Straight up and down allows the camper to move around as nothing is preventing side/side and front/back movement other than down force.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

Triangulate as much as possible to prevent camper movement. Straight up and down allows the camper to move around as nothing is preventing side/side and front/back movement other than down force.

Good point. Makes total sense.

Slymer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called Torklift about that very issue a couple of years ago. Tech was great. Said to get the Fastguns as parallel to the ground as possible. ie - Pointy end at the front to the front & pointy end at the rear to the rear. Make the connections as wide as possible.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as width (i.e. telescoping of the tubes within each other), I set my up such that it did not touch the tuck body when attaching the Fastguns.

IIRC, the rear ones were on the "narrow" setting and the front TL's were on the wider holes.

on edit:
I would think that the narrowest setting is best setup if you can fit it w/o hitting the bed sides.

* This post was edited 06/15/21 04:27pm by d3500ram *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the same truck model can have different configuration.
My truck is Supercab, with door opening to the rear. I could not put tie downs as far to the front I wanted becouse they would interfere with open door.
Than even with all the adjustment I could not avoid the tie covering my fuel door.
Good thing removing fastgun is 3 second job.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slymer wrote:

I called Torklift about that very issue a couple of years ago. Tech was great. Said to get the Fastguns as parallel to the ground as possible. ie - Pointy end at the front to the front & pointy end at the rear to the rear. Make the connections as wide as possible.

I needed more clearance between my Fastguns and the RAM fenders. I talked to Torklift and they recommended drilling another hole in the truck tiedown extensions. They said to drill the hole about an inch farther "inboard" than the other 2 holes. Same size...1/4" inch so the pins will fit. That will put the Fastgun hook up points farther out and more allow more clearance with the fenders.
Torklift also explained the the truck extensions do not secure the campers by their horizontal/vertical fit between the extension and the frame mount. They are held by the tension of the corners of the extension within the frame mount. That is why the triangulation is required.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting additional comments.

I was able to put mine on the narrower setting and they clear everything. Can even fuel the truck without taking the front one off which is a common thing that needs to be done. Speaks to the variation in mounting points as well.

Both sets pull the camper forward as there is no other option with my camper tie down points. I could make the rears angle further forward by putting them on the front hole instead of the back hole.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run mine narrow, don't want them sticking out where they're more likely to snag something. I always figured the inner holes were for those needing extra clearance for full length running boards or dually fenders. Homemade load guides ensure any side to side movement is minimized.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also with the Fastguns it is easy to adjust them so there is only 3/8" difference in the threaded section that is exposed when fully tightened. It is very easy to apply too much force to the camper mounts and do serious damage to the camper that will be very expensive to repair.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift camper tie down width question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.