cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has me hopping mad! I've been a USAA member for a LOT of years (40+) and always had my TT insured through them. Now they're out of the RV segment and have partnered with Progressive for that. Last year when I was finishing the build (and tallying receipts) I thought insurance would be a good idea. I called USAA who sent me to Progressive where I bought a policy for $162/yr.

We move from NY to IN last month and I get everything switched over with USAA, no problem. They remind me to call Progressive and do the same. After 20 mins on the phone getting the new policy written, they ask for the VIN. I tell them there is no VIN, only a serial number. This is not a vehicle, it's a camper. Uh-oh, please hold.

The Progressive guy comes back on the phone and says they can't write the policy since the camper has no VIN. Further, my NY policy currently in effect with Progressive is being cancelled immediately, because it was written by an independent agent, not a Progressive employee, and they made up numbers for the VIN to get the policy boarded. WHAT?? Oh, and you're not entitled to a refund.

So I call USAA back and let them know how well Progressive is treating their customers. I got a really nice guy on the phone who tells me that my camper is actually covered by my homeowners policy like any other personal property.

If you had $5000 worth of expensive furniture in your truck and you were in a crash and rolled the truck and ruined the furniture, the auto policy would cover damage to the truck and homeowner's would cover the loss of the furniture. Same with the camper, it's personal property like furniture, not a vehicle.

The main reason for wanting insurance is to cover it from storm damage while it's parked, not really concerned about collision.

Who do you guys use for insurance? Anyone have a similar experience with Progressive? Anyone get a similar story about being covered by homeowners?
39 REPLIES 39

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
I know most here will not remove there TC when camping. But we 95% of the time set the TC off the truck. As we used the truck to put the boat in. I had insurance on the TC for that reason. As I was told when it was off the truck. It was not covered? Also had 3 camp grounds years ago. I had to show proof of insurance to take it off the truck.
Those camp grounds had issues with someone dropping a TC and never returning for it. One was still sitting on the back site. Caught fire inside and they just left without taking the camper. Being the TC had no tag and the Vin tag was ripped off. It was now the campgrounds issue. Sad that someone would do that.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
The camper when off the truck is usually covered by homeowner's insurance. On the truck it should be covered by the auto insurance. I have had no problems with State Farm for insuring the camper with our homeowners and our auto insurance policies.

Not unusual for companies to offer low rates and then cover themselves by reducing the coverage or increasing the deductible or other aspect.

Anything that can be insured on its own is NOT covered under homeowners. check with your agent to be sure. Examples are ATV, Dirt bikes, golf carts etc. If someone breaks into your garage and takes your ATV and lawn tractor your Homeowners is only going to cover your lawn tractor.
Same with Auto insurance. if someone steals an ATV out of the bed, or off a trailer that is connected to your truck, its not covered by your truck insurance because an ATV can be insured by itself.
Check with your agent.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
... On the truck it should be covered by the auto insurance. ...

I was assuming that for long years, including TT, but lately Geico send me renewal policy and that is what I read.
Geico wrote:
Trailer means a trailer designed for use with a private passenger auto and not used as a home, residence, office,
store, display or passenger trailer. Trailer does not mean a trailer with built in sleeping facility designed for
recreational or camping use

When cargo (as TC) is not spelled on my policy (at least I did not find it) I am afraid it might fall under the same restrictions.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
The camper when off the truck is usually covered by homeowner's insurance. On the truck it should be covered by the auto insurance. I have had no problems with State Farm for insuring the camper with our homeowners and our auto insurance policies.

Not unusual for companies to offer low rates and then cover themselves by reducing the coverage or increasing the deductible or other aspect.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
brholt wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
brholt wrote:
There are insurance companies that know exactly what a truck camper is and will write a separate policy. Fine one of those companies.

Suggestions welcome!

For Washington/Oregon PEMCO knows what it is doing

Thanks, I was planning on adding insurance on the Amerigo once it was done since its a full restoration vs just a straight out of the box and used unit like Mr. KIT was before her.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
brholt wrote:
There are insurance companies that know exactly what a truck camper is and will write a separate policy. Fine one of those companies.

Suggestions welcome!

For Washington/Oregon PEMCO knows what it is doing

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
stevenal wrote:
I believe what you are calling a serial number can equally be called a VIN.

Except that VINs were standardized to 17 characters back in the mid 70's, and insurance comnpany systems won't accept anything else....it's like a 9-digit phone number, they keep telling you it's wrong.

Well, not really. I have vehicles with 6, 10 and 12 characters...and the oldest is 1985, the newest with odd duck numbers are 2002 and 2006's. Not a given, TC or not.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
specta wrote:
otrfun wrote:

Lastly, I'd take any advice an insurance agent offers to you with a grain of salt.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate. My agent has been one of my closest friends for years.

She also owns an RV and OHVs and knows what a truck camper is.

I have separate policies on my camper, ATV and my ATV trailer.

Yes, fortunate. Some agents understand Truck Campers, and some do not.
As we know, coverage definitions are different for RV's and for TC's. So, it's best to educate your agent if s/he needs it. And get it in writing if there are any inconsistencies in that definition. Take a photo of your TC with date and label it Truck Camper, have agent sign and date it, especially if it's new and worth big bucks. Some new I'm seeing up in the $50K range - definitely needs clarification in the policy if it's not already in it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

specta
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

Lastly, I'd take any advice an insurance agent offers to you with a grain of salt.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate. My agent has been one of my closest friends for years.

She also owns an RV and OHVs and knows what a truck camper is.

I have separate policies on my camper, ATV and my ATV trailer.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your camper is in a grey area. No valid VIN, so it's kinda viewed by most insurance companies as a "camper shell" or accessory. A camper shell (and accessories) is/are covered by the TV's insurance up to a set limit specified in the policy---as long as it is attached to your TV. If your truck camper is at or under that limit then you should be good. If it's higher, then IMO your only option is to establish a new, valid VIN (following procedures defined by your state of residence) and insure it through Progressive, GEICO, etc.

I believe you just rebuilt your camper. In your mind you have an idea what your camper is worth after this rebuild. I think it would be prudent to make sure whatever insurance company you insure it with concurs with what you think it's worth.

Lastly, I'd take any advice an insurance agent offers to you with a grain of salt. As boring and frustrating as it is, your best recourse is to read your insurance policy. Generally speaking, unless a policy specifically excludes coverage for a given situation, the odds are somewhat in your favor that you're covered.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:

Except that VINs were standardized to 17 characters back in the mid 70's, and insurance company systems won't accept anything else....it's like a 9-digit phone number, they keep telling you it's wrong.

Your signature states you have a 2002 Lance. Seems like it should have a standard VIN even if it was originally sold in a "cargo" state. If not, I would call Lance and tell them you need a VIN.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
brholt wrote:

Suggestions welcome!

brholt is right.
A GOOD agent will know these things.
I have one with State Farm and I asked the questions like "what if a tree limb falls on it while off the truck camping."
The agent has to know the value of the camper. If no VIN, they should accept the serial number. I've been there, done that. Including totaling the camper and getting cashed out on it.
There was a small charge (maybe $15.00 to write the rider on homeowners policy).
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
stevenal wrote:
I believe what you are calling a serial number can equally be called a VIN.

Except that VINs were standardized to 17 characters back in the mid 70's, and insurance comnpany systems won't accept anything else....it's like a 9-digit phone number, they keep telling you it's wrong.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Beaker wrote:
burbman wrote:
If you had $5000 worth of expensive furniture in your truck and you were in a crash and rolled the truck and ruined the furniture, the auto policy would cover damage to the truck and homeowner's would cover the loss of the furniture. Same with the camper, it's personal property like furniture, not a vehicle.

My understanding is you need separate collision for the camper, it is not "personal property".
Tow vehicle protects for liability if camper causes damage while being towed, or comes loose.
Homeowner policy used for loss of furniture and personal liability on camper.
That's how it was explained to me by insurance agent.

This is how Allstate does it. I insure my Northstar 12STC truck camper for $35,000 value. The collision costs $65 per year and comprehensive costs $107 per year. The truck policy covers liability if the camper causes damage to someone else's stuff.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC