Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bathroom access on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bathroom access on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mattyj wrote:

....are there other factors to be considered about bathroom access before I commit to the purchase? Thanks

What other factors are you worried about? To me the other issues involve the downsides of having a slide. Depending on the model you may not be able to access the kitchen, cabinets, or bed if the slide is not out. When traveling I like to be able to pull over and use the toilet, fix lunch and take a nap to help keep fresh and deal with long hours of driving. With a slide you cannot stop in a standard parking spot. I have visited friends and relatives where the only viable option was parking/camping on a residential street. I have stealth camped numerous times when a slide would not have worked and would have certainly called out attention. A slide also is a potential mechanical issue, an area at risk for water intrusion and it also adds considerable weight. I have seen some campers where the slide only served to add some floor space without doing much for comfort or utility. Is the slide worth it for your model and for how you expect to use the camper? If in doubt, you might want to look at a similar or even slightly longer TC without a slide. Talk to Bill about the choices that are currently available.

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slide is usually on the drivers side. Get out, survey and move the slide the foot you need and use the bathroom. Remember to put slide back in.

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

mattyj wrote:

....are there other factors to be considered about bathroom access before I commit to the purchase? Thanks

What other factors are you worried about? To me the other issues involve the downsides of having a slide. Depending on the model you may not be able to access the kitchen, cabinets, or bed if the slide is not out. When traveling I like to be able to pull over and use the toilet, fix lunch and take a nap to help keep fresh and deal with long hours of driving. With a slide you cannot stop in a standard parking spot. I have visited friends and relatives where the only viable option was parking/camping on a residential street. I have stealth camped numerous times when a slide would not have worked and would have certainly called out attention. A slide also is a potential mechanical issue, an area at risk for water intrusion and it also adds considerable weight. I have seen some campers where the slide only served to add some floor space without doing much for comfort or utility. Is the slide worth it for your model and for how you expect to use the camper? If in doubt, you might want to look at a similar or even slightly longer TC without a slide. Talk to Bill about the choices that are currently available.
. I’m not really worried about any factor, I just had questions, for instance is there a manual crank to crank out a slide out if it gets stuck in the out or in position? Also if you’re up in the cab over is there ever a switch option to close the slide from bed? Just questions like that I never had a slide out andI haven’t heard anything that would deter me from getting the one I want, Thanks for all your info

2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs and Stable Loads 2004 Lancelite 835 ,a/c ,electric jacks , conveince/all weather packages

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

mattyj wrote:

Who is Bill?

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill has a Penny for your thoughts LOL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ole Bill….lol.
Don’t pay attention to the naysayers about how horrible and limiting a slide out is.
Some folks have pretty jaded opinions and could find an issue with winning the lotto and getting _____ by a supermodel all in the same day!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power Gear slides are quick and can be opened or closed partially. I need to open my rear slide to access the camper and driver slide to access the bath. One, two or three slides can be operated at the same time, so it is quick. You just need to make sure you have sufficient clearance before opening them.

Schwintek slides do need to be opened and closed fully to keep motors in sync. They also operate slower. It may take 3x longer with this type of slide, but it is still under a minute for full access.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Mac wrote:

Bill Penny, told me directly that he does not like Adventurer or Eagle Cap TC’s because of warranty problems.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

K Mac wrote:

Bill Penny, told me directly that he does not like Adventurer or Eagle Cap TC’s because of warranty problems.

I would take his advice very seriously. He is an expert on truck campers with many years of experience and he has a reputation for honesty.

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

K Mac wrote:

I would take his advice very seriously. He is an expert on truck campers with many years of experience and he has a reputation for honesty.
. Yes I know I bought the camper I have now from Bill in 2005, but unfortunately the Adventurer has all the features we like.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bathroom access on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.