cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding Tank Treatments and Your Advice on Lubricants

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Might be in the wrong category, however I think it could also be a tech thing. What kind of cleaner or holding tank material do you use to help lubricate the valve seals? Are there DYI solutions used or just products that remove sludge? Are there multiple treatments such as holding tank solution then every so often put some other material in to keep seals working? I know about the ice method and traveling down the road, but this does not work if you stay put somewhere for awhile. Thoughts?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
13 REPLIES 13

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
I've been leaning more towards silicone over the white lithium.
Some rubbers dont like petroleum based lubes.

The seals are not rubber. The seals are neoprene.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The knowledgeable RV people had me spending money on RV tank treatments, then I figured out they were not so knowledgeable. Tank smell inside the RV? The system is leaking and a plumbing smoke test will find the leak. NO chemicals for me. If you have money in your wallet Camping World and WalMart have a product to remove it.

I added Zerk fittings to the holding tank valves and give them a bit of grease every now and then. I really do not care that petroleum may or may not be good for the seals, they are not going to last forever and I do not want to deal with stuck valves. I had my last RV 10 years full timing and the grease did not destroy the seals.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
CRC 3045

The CRC 3045 works well for a lot of jobs.
I also use a good dry lube when you don't want the lubricant to attract dirt and grime.
WD 40 works well for door hinges and other minor jobs as well as removing sticky residue if you are removing decals or labels.
Bottom line is to use an appropriate lube for the job.

For personal use, my preference is a good beer. I believe in supporting Ohio businesses and beers brewed by Great Lakes are at the top of my list. Dortmunder Gold is one you will most frequently find in the fridge along with many other friends. Variety is the spice of life!

Wine is a good "lube" for the wife, but it has to be used carefully or she tends to fall asleep! Perhaps that isn't so bad?????
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I've been leaning more towards silicone over the white lithium.
Some rubbers dont like petroleum based lubes.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Most campers lubricate with beer, but some prefer wine or the hard stuff... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, but it's so diluted, I'm not sure that it's effective as a lubricant?
Depends on what (or who) is being lubricated! ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Most campers lubricate with beer, but some prefer wine or the hard stuff... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, but it's so diluted, I'm not sure that it's effective as a lubricant?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Unless you are planning to eat out of it, water is all you need. Use plenty of it so the solids float and get pulled out when you dump.

If you are using it regularly, it won't hurt to lube it but not critical. I believe it's when it's not used regularly, that lube is more important. That allows time for things to dry out and turn crusty.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
All you need is water and enough of it and the Geo Method

As for the Lubricants I have found that the the method described in This video does all you need.

I have used both for years and everything has worked well with not one problem.

This^^^^
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
All you need is water and enough of it and the Geo Method

As for the Lubricants I have found that the the method described in This video does all you need.

I have used both for years and everything has worked well with not one problem.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Just water. Once in a while, dish soap, before leaving for a trip to really clean it up.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
All you need is water, and plenty of water. No chemicals are necessary to keep your holding tanks working properly. It you absolutely feel like you must use something, Happy Camper is the best (unnecessary) product I have ever used. I only use that when I will be dry camping for an extended period of time and am trying to conserve water usage.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And outta left field โ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold