cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold refrigerator trouble

larandjane
Explorer
Explorer
I have a norcold 611 refrigerator in my 2005 HR Savoy. It quit working on AC and now has quit on gas also I replaced the thermistor since it was cheap and easy but it didnโ€™t fix it. The lines are getting hot and you can hear the burner.. Any ideas?
Larry and Beautiful Wife
2005 HR Savoy 29RKS 2007 Chevy 2500
10 REPLIES 10

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
From what is posted it looks like your frig is dead. If so at this point you have some decisions to make. Replace with new Norcold, replace with residential frig., or just replace the cooling unit.

My thoughts as I went through the same process. We ended up going with replacing the cooling unit. Reason, easier cheaper DW and I could do it.

I went to JC Refrigeration and with their help got the correct cooling unit. I went with the 120v only as we are always plugged in and never boondock. That made more sense to us. It really is a take out the old and put in the new. Check them out as part of your decision process.
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Good Luck safe travels
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
larandjane wrote:
There is a little yellow residue around the the bottom of a cylinder that has insulation and tubing inside. Also the freezer doesnโ€™t get cold at all and the front display works and is flashing a code that according to my manual means the unit has failed not owner serviceable. Iโ€™m not getting a good feeling about this

That is dried up sodium chromate (rust inhibitor in the coolant)
It is toxic.....work it wet
No blowing with compressed air, vacuuming, brushing etc that can cause 'dust'
Face mask, gloves....spray bottle......work it wet to clean up before you remove/work on cooling unit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Norcold N611 cooling unit.

They are not too hard to replace. Took me about 2 hours to replace my Domectic unit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup That is exactly what happened to me
Two choices Replace cooling unit (less parts cost more labor cost)
Replace Fridge (More part cost lower labor)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellow residue means the unit has sprung a leak. You need to replace the cooling unit.

larandjane
Explorer
Explorer
There is a little yellow residue around the the bottom of a cylinder that has insulation and tubing inside. Also the freezer doesnโ€™t get cold at all and the front display works and is flashing a code that according to my manual means the unit has failed not owner serviceable. Iโ€™m not getting a good feeling about this
Larry and Beautiful Wife

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Does the freezer even get cold at all? If not and the gas is staying ON, your Cooling Unit is bad. Even a bad cooling unit(not a leaker) will get the freezer a little cold. Doug

larandjane
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the display on front works the light flashes a code which according to my manual means the refrigerator isnโ€™t working. I had figured that out ??
Larry and Beautiful Wife

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure your coils didn't go belly up. Check to see if you have yellow egg yoke looking stuff running down the coils and a terrible ammonia smell.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the display working on the front of the fridge? Take the outside access panel off and clean the burner
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper