Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/17/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If my math is right 5000 per hour is about 83 a minute----sure would like to see that. Another near here has a back up all the time because one road is high volume and the other 2 are nothing. Thus a LONG back up most of the time.

paulj

Seattle

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile



Posted: 06/17/21 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the UK, even the canals have roundabouts [emoticon]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Turn_Junction

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/18/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

They've been in Europe for a long, long time. People learn to negotiate them properly, and there are very few problems. Seems like many Americans would rather complain about them than to learn to use them efficiently and safely.

Now, on the other hand, you just don't see unnecessarily huge trucks in Europe, or RV combos that are 70 feet long, but they're all very commonplace in the US. Therein lies the rub. When it comes to the newer, gigantic trucks in the US, people have a hard time putting them between the lines at the grocery store -- let alone negotiating a roundabout.


Plenty of big trucks in the EU and yes, they frequently use roundabouts.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 06/18/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

They've been in Europe for a long, long time. People learn to negotiate them properly, and there are very few problems. Seems like many Americans would rather complain about them than to learn to use them efficiently and safely.

Now, on the other hand, you just don't see unnecessarily huge trucks in Europe, or RV combos that are 70 feet long, but they're all very commonplace in the US. Therein lies the rub. When it comes to the newer, gigantic trucks in the US, people have a hard time putting them between the lines at the grocery store -- let alone negotiating a roundabout.


Plenty of big trucks in the EU and yes, they frequently use roundabouts.


No where near the number we have here. We've been to Europe dozens of times, and they just don't exist. The number of privately-owned large trucks (1/2-ton, 3/4-ton. 1-ton) we saw in all of our trips combined I could count on 2 hands.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/18/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had one installed here in PA at a location at the top of what we refer to as a mountain (944 feet). Prior to installation traffic would be lined up 3/4 of a mile down the mountain. Nothing like stop and go traffic when pulling you 5th wheel up a steep grade. Now you drive right to the top and go around the circle with no delay.
Here in PA we design our roundabouts with mountable curbs and match the dimensions to the truck traffic on the road.


2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with you, absolutely hate roundabouts.


2010 Suncruiser


rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/18/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, well didn't deal with roundabouts here in the US much before 2000. Well my DD lived in Ireland and we learned to drive them there, they are well designed and large enough for trucks and smooth entry exit. In Ireland and the UK you travel clockwise, here in US they go counterclockwise. I learned quickly to use turn signals to indicate where you plan on exiting. I the US LEFT turn signal indicates, continuing around, right indicates you are exiting, helps others needing to enter.

Many in the US are too tight for large trucks and RVs making them less than smooth.


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/18/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

They've been in Europe for a long, long time. People learn to negotiate them properly, and there are very few problems. Seems like many Americans would rather complain about them than to learn to use them efficiently and safely.

Now, on the other hand, you just don't see unnecessarily huge trucks in Europe, or RV combos that are 70 feet long, but they're all very commonplace in the US. Therein lies the rub. When it comes to the newer, gigantic trucks in the US, people have a hard time putting them between the lines at the grocery store -- let alone negotiating a roundabout.


Plenty of big trucks in the EU and yes, they frequently use roundabouts.


No where near the number we have here. We've been to Europe dozens of times, and they just don't exist. The number of privately-owned large trucks (1/2-ton, 3/4-ton. 1-ton) we saw in all of our trips combined I could count on 2 hands.


Funny, we see tons of commercial trucks from big box to semis tractor trailers when we are there. They also have big tour busses which are at the same as a diesel pusher...never saw an issue with them negotiating roundabouts.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/18/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Roundabout fails [emoticon]

[image]

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]


The first one violates several roundabout design criteria. Though even then, other than the driver needing a new set of underwear, looks like it was pretty harmless.

The second, I can't see enough but with the very high island, that car was just being stupid. Run a red light without slowing down crossing a major highway and you will likely get some spectacular video too.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 06/18/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

They've been in Europe for a long, long time. People learn to negotiate them properly, and there are very few problems. Seems like many Americans would rather complain about them than to learn to use them efficiently and safely.

Now, on the other hand, you just don't see unnecessarily huge trucks in Europe, or RV combos that are 70 feet long, but they're all very commonplace in the US. Therein lies the rub. When it comes to the newer, gigantic trucks in the US, people have a hard time putting them between the lines at the grocery store -- let alone negotiating a roundabout.


Plenty of big trucks in the EU and yes, they frequently use roundabouts.




No where near the number we have here. We've been to Europe dozens of times, and they just don't exist. The number of privately-owned large trucks (1/2-ton, 3/4-ton. 1-ton) we saw in all of our trips combined I could count on 2 hands.


Funny, we see tons of commercial trucks from big box to semis tractor trailers when we are there. They also have big tour busses which are at the same as a diesel pusher...never saw an issue with them negotiating roundabouts.


You missed my point. Re-read what I wrote. I am referring to privately-owned light- to medium-duty PU's, not commercial vehicles. Most commercial vehicle drivers know how to drive, park, and negotiate whatever's thrown in front of them. Put your Millennial 100-pound 5'2" wife in a new F-150 crew and watch her try to park it at Kroger, let alone negotiate a roundabout! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.