Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like roundabouts as I first learned to drive the Orange Circle (100 block of Chapman Ave. and Glassell St.) in Orange California (2 lane)...

As long as the roundabout intersection is immediate clear to the left, I accelerate fast into the circle with no hesitation (to avoid other potential hesitant idiots to my right) and keep moving.

What I hate about roundabouts are the drivers that yield while the circle is three vehicle length clear while one vehicle is in the circle around the 10 o' clock position as the intersection "still parked" yielding car is at 6 o' clock position wondering if the vehicle will leave the circle at the 8 o' clock position or continue in the circle while I happen to be directly behind the hesitant fool delaying traffic.

That's when I start yelling out the side window "Look kids, Big Bend...PARLIAMENT" !!!! if it ain't -40 below or something when someone stalls roundabout traffic in my area.


1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (175K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)


noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/20/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watching Tiff Needel drift a 54hp Morris Minor around a wet roundabout is a thing of beauty.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

You missed my point. Re-read what I wrote. I am referring to privately-owned light- to medium-duty PU's, not commercial vehicles. Most commercial vehicle drivers know how to drive, park, and negotiate whatever's thrown in front of them. Put your Millennial 100-pound 5'2" wife in a new F-150 crew and watch her try to park it at Kroger, let alone negotiate a roundabout! [emoticon]


If the big commercial trucks can navigate them, so can RVs.

My 5'-0" wife loves the F250 and can park it fine. She even tows occasionally.


Sorry, wasn't referring to 'your' wife in particular. Just saying so many I see are clearly uncomfortable tooling around in these behemoth trucks, at least around here.


I fully agree with you. Not many horse women around here, but I was referring to so many that have these huge beasts as daily drivers and just don't know how to properly operate them.

LOL!
Not likely you have been around many horse women! Most handle their rigs better than most of the guys on on this forum!
Given the fact that a 30' horse trailer tow like a 40' 5er due to axle placement, most don't give towing a second thought.


I fully agree. Not many horse women around here. Just a bunch of young gals giving it their best to try to operate these huge pieces of machinery in the proper way. Funny, yet dangerous.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:


I fully agree. Not many horse women around here. Just a bunch of young gals giving it their best to try to operate these huge pieces of machinery in the proper way. Funny, yet dangerous.


Over a lifetime I have seen danger from inexperienced and untrained people operating machines of all kinds and sizes. Never saw where indoor/outdoor plumbing made a difference.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

>> Traffic circles often gave right of
>> way to vehicles entering, so they
>> would lock up at high volumes. Roundabouts
>> have entering vehicles yeild so they
>> can always clear vehicles in the circle.

Most people would not understand that.


There is something special about camping in an RV.
.


noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

>> Traffic circles often gave right of
>> way to vehicles entering, so they
>> would lock up at high volumes. Roundabouts
>> have entering vehicles yeild so they
>> can always clear vehicles in the circle.

Most people would not understand that.


Having traffic already in the roundy round yielding right of way to traffic entering the intersection from the blind side makes sense to somebody I guess…

Did the designer go on to add straight through lanes for transport trucks?

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:


I fully agree. Not many horse women around here. Just a bunch of young gals giving it their best to try to operate these huge pieces of machinery in the proper way. Funny, yet dangerous.


Over a lifetime I have seen danger from inexperienced and untrained people operating machines of all kinds and sizes. Never saw where indoor/outdoor plumbing made a difference.


At least around here, many more women piloting large trucks to the grocery store than men. Just an observation. Your results may vary...[emoticon]

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait till they start putting signals - like ramp meters, on roundabouts... It's coming if people continue to not know how to use them.

I also don't like that they are very unsafe for pedestrians. People are looking for cars in the circle and not for pedestrians crossing the legs...

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:


I fully agree. Not many horse women around here. Just a bunch of young gals giving it their best to try to operate these huge pieces of machinery in the proper way. Funny, yet dangerous.


Over a lifetime I have seen danger from inexperienced and untrained people operating machines of all kinds and sizes. Never saw where indoor/outdoor plumbing made a difference.


At least around here, many more women piloting large trucks to the grocery store than men. Just an observation. Your results may vary...[emoticon]


Same up here, but it seems that the reason is that folks are buying a large truck, too large for commuting, and leaving it home as ‘Mom’s Taxi’ while hubby commutes to work in something more fuel efficient.

paulj

Seattle

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile



Posted: 06/21/21 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:


I also don't like that they are very unsafe for pedestrians. People are looking for cars in the circle and not for pedestrians crossing the legs...


The WSDOT design guide that I linked on the first page discusses pedestrian and bicycle design issues - where to put the cross walks, how to mark them, etc.

It says that crossings on entry legs should should be acar length away from the entrance. That way the pedestrian can cross behind the driver that's focused on cars in the circle. That reminds me of a T intersection I frequently cross as pedestrian. Right turning drivers tend to focus on traffic from their left, and might not see a pedestrian (or bike) coming from their right).

A well designed roundabout shouldn't be any worse than a 4 way stop or lights for pedestrians.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.