Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roundabouts are spreading across the country -- I find them infuriating and unsafe (when I am towing a trailer). And yet the experts say they are much safer than ordinary intersections. Check out this very clear discussion by the Iowa DOT:

Iowas DOT discussion of roundabout safety

So now I am both infuriated and wrong? That's frustrating and humiliating. Oh, well. [emoticon]

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my TT they are sometimes challenging. Without I like them.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the single lane ones -- super easy to navigate and watch for traffic and most of the time you don't need to stop, so it's better than a stop sign.

The multilane ones seem less safe -- people don't always know which lane they should be in to get to their exit and end up conflicting with others.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love roundabouts. I travel through 3 in 6 miles on my way into town. One of them with 2 lanes has 30,000 vehicles per day. I just wish that people would use their turn signals. . . it is suggested in WA State, but not required. Its is required in Germany and Austria.

I never travel beside a large truck or trailer in multi-lane roundabouts. . . I like to give them room.

My most adventurous roundabout was in the UK, with 3 lanes and the steering wheel was on the wrong side. . . yikes. A fender ahead wins.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 45' fiver, I take up a lot of lanes in the smaller circles. It's not a great feeling, but it's pretty workable.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If roundabouts in the US were all like this, I’d like them.

[image]

Trouble is, they’re more often like this.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's ok to ride up on the center apron if needed. In WA state the texture is different, but they are designed to accommodate trucks.

https://wsdot.wa.gov/publications/manuals/fulltext/M22-01/1320.pdf

https://wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm

* This post was edited 06/17/21 01:15pm by paulj *

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am another who dislikes roundabouts. They strike me as less safe, not more so.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like well executed ones. Then again, a pox upon the household of the moron responsible for the two purely decorative brick circles a block before and after the true roundabout on 5th street in my town. They cannot be negotiated as the central true roundabout between them, but every so often someone tries it. They are merely confusing, especially for visitors.

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect the "studies" that were done showing roundabouts are safer probably compare them to 4-way stops but don't take into consideration that most drivers don't know how to navigate either one. Roundabouts are even more confusing to these drivers so they go slower thru them, stop and wait for everyone in the circle to clear out before entering or stop in the roundabout to allow others the chance to enter.

Seems the the biggest selling point for many though is "it's just like what the enlightened countries of Europe use", so we need to have them too. The problem with many though is they aren't built large enough to accommodate more than two or three vehicles at any one time, so their benefit, even with knowledgeable drives, is marginal at best.

Maybe the real solution (other than driver education) is to go back to the 4-way stop replacing the stop signs with red lights that allow one vehicle at a time to proceed, rotating the green light around the intersection.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.