Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roundabouts got much easier for me when I was involved in putting 1 in. That is when I learned that the different colored pavement was not like a normal shoulder, but is supported as well as the traffic lane. Pulling the trailer up on it is expected. The tight turn does slow traffic, and all going the same general direction means impact is mostly light.
As for people not knowing how to drive them; That can apply to 4 way stop. And people not obey the rules in 1; Look at the arguments on this board about what to do when the light turns yellow.
The intersection that I have trouble standing under is the ones they are building where a 2 lane crosses a 4 lane. Instead of making the median wide enough for a vehicle to be protected while waiting for the 2nd half to clear, everybody on the 2 lane makes a right turn. Going the wrong way? Well you have about half mile to get across the traffic to make a U turn. Then the joy of merging into the passing lane, getting into the right, so you can make another right to go on up the road you where on.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

You missed my point. Re-read what I wrote. I am referring to privately-owned light- to medium-duty PU's, not commercial vehicles. Most commercial vehicle drivers know how to drive, park, and negotiate whatever's thrown in front of them. Put your Millennial 100-pound 5'2" wife in a new F-150 crew and watch her try to park it at Kroger, let alone negotiate a roundabout! [emoticon]

If the big commercial trucks can navigate them, so can RVs.

My 5'-0" wife loves the F250 and can park it fine. She even tows occasionally.

Sorry, wasn't referring to 'your' wife in particular. Just saying so many I see are clearly uncomfortable tooling around in these behemoth trucks, at least around here.

LOL!
Not likely you have been around many horse women! Most handle their rigs better than most of the guys on on this forum!
Given the fact that a 30' horse trailer tow like a 40' 5er due to axle placement, most don't give towing a second thought.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've noticed near our upstate NY family cottage that a couple of new roundabouts have almost 'S' bend entries that pretty much force a slowdown before reaching the circle itself. The entry curbing/shoulders are tapered like the center, so large trucks and trailers are easily accommodated.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Going the wrong way? Well you have about half mile to get across the traffic to make a U turn. Then the joy of merging into the passing lane, getting into the right, so you can make another right to go on up the road you where on.

Sounds like you are describing a Michigan Left (aka: Indirect left).

If the minor road is fairly busy, they are typically signalized. If not, using the u-turn crossover is safer and faster compared to sign or signal control...even though some traffic travels further.

At low volume cross roads, we often don't allow the thru movement at all and close it off because it's safer if the main road is high speed.

As much as you may struggle with merging, it's still far safer than a direct crossing.

A lot of it comes down to managing the number and spacing of traffic signals. Drive down 8 Mile on the north side of Detroit some time. Set the speed at 45mph eastbound or westbound and you will go for miles without stopping.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

(4 way stops)I'm that car -- if a car is approaching rapidly, I'll wait 'till he stops, or at least slows significantly, to be sure he's actually going to stop.
Then another one approaches..and another.. you'll be there all day! [emoticon]

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

(4 way stops)I'm that car -- if a car is approaching rapidly, I'll wait 'till he stops, or at least slows significantly, to be sure he's actually going to stop.
Then another one approaches..and another.. you'll be there all day! [emoticon]

Well, when that guy stops (or at least slows down enough to make it clear that he's gonna stop), then I'll go. If it turns out he didn't stop and just blows through the stop sign, then I made the right decision!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Going the wrong way? Well you have about half mile to get across the traffic to make a U turn. Then the joy of merging into the passing lane, getting into the right, so you can make another right to go on up the road you where on.

Sounds like you are describing a Michigan Left (aka: Indirect left).

If the minor road is fairly busy, they are typically signalized. If not, using the u-turn crossover is safer and faster compared to sign or signal control...even though some traffic travels further.

At low volume cross roads, we often don't allow the thru movement at all and close it off because it's safer if the main road is high speed.

As much as you may struggle with merging, it's still far safer than a direct crossing.

A lot of it comes down to managing the number and spacing of traffic signals. Drive down 8 Mile on the north side of Detroit some time. Set the speed at 45mph eastbound or westbound and you will go for miles without stopping.

I don't know what you call it. But the first place I have seen this mess there is about 70 miles between traffic lights. For decades the outlaw trail (Road that will get you around the scales) I could stop for sign, wait for traffic from left to clear, pull tractor and up to 53 ft trailer out to median. When I got a gap in traffic from right, make my left into the right lane. While I'm getting up to speed, all traffic can pass me on my left, the safest way. If 2 come up side by each, 1 must merge to left, safer than to the right.
Before, when ready to go back to the interstate, sure I have to slow down in the left lane, (Fat, takes more distance to slow, but not near as long as to get up to speed. Plus I have had distance to get myself in the big gap) But I can still get crossways to oncoming traffic, wait for gap, and straight across. The U-turn starts with the same risk as the left turn but adds the merge to the right, where traffic is moving fastest, and hardest to see.
IMHO, a much better option would be the old "Jug Handle" for left turns.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, a much better option would be the old "Jug Handle" for left turns.

New Jersey is the only place I have seen the jug handles. work great.
bumpy

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got no use for roundabouts. On a street in Tucson there are two of them that also have 4-way stop signs! Idiots.

We have some left turns in the Tucson area called Michigan Lefts's. You go through the intersection then make a U-turn, come back, and then make a right. We have lots of family in Michigan and we've travelled Michigan a lot and have never seen or heard of a Michigan Left in Michigan. The traffic engineers in the Tucson area don't have a clue what they're doing.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps ODOT is better than some at making them but I've been through a few dozen around here with both an 18' and my current 34' trailer and never had an issue, only once even hit the inner curb when I tried to take it to fast and so the truck keptyo the inside pulling the trailer in a more straight line than would be ideal.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I hate roundabouts -- but maybe I am wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.