Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiver Hitch for Trailer

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very specific question:

Is anyone aware of good receiver hitch kits to put a hitch on a travel trailer. I've seen lots of kits for adding hitches to vehicles.

I am wanting a good hitch to use a carrier- but not really interested in triple towing.

I am also a veteran of this: On our first camper I did-it-myself, first with U-bolts through a simple bolt-on receiver hitch (and discovered why that is a bad idea), and then went to a welder who sold me a nice heavy square tube for the bumper, welded the receiver too it and bolted it in place of the stock bumper.

The new trailer has a "better" bumper, but it's welded on AND I do not think the new bumper is quite strong enough (and of course, "the directions" say don't do it.

I should probably cut that bumper off (a bit of a hassle) and fabricate mounting brackets for my old "super bumper-with-receiver" (which I still have).

However if there was a good kit- it could be a time saver of drilling a couple holes and tightening some bolts and not turn a perfectly good bumper into scrap iron.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Might look at some of these.
Curt multi fit hitches

YES- even better. Thank you!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
rirish1 wrote:
This is how I solved the problem. An adjustable receiver welded to my TT frame. I've hauled 2 bikes to Alaska and back as well as numerous other trips without problem. It is available on etrailer.com

Curt Adjustable Trailer Hitch Receiver - 18"-51" Wide - 2" Drop - Class III - 2"

Thank you.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
These Curt RV Hitches are designed to extend greater lateral distances and bolt to the trailer's frame rails. You'll probably have to drill the TT frame to accommodate the receiver, but you should be able to have it fit below the existing bumper.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Might look at some of these.
Curt multi fit hitches

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Just a shout out " bolt vs weld" ....our first 5th wheel trailer was a new 1984 26' Aljo by Skyline. It came with the usual thin 4"X 4" tube rear bumper/slinky carrier. Back then bolt on receiver kits were common. I had a weld/fab shop cut the thin tube off and fab/weld back with a 1/4" wall 4"X 4" square tube. I then bolted my receiver to the heavy bumper.
The fab shop fabricated/welded receiver hitches on mostly commercial trucks/trailers. I mentioned bolting my receiver to the new tube but they didn't recommend any bolt on hitch on the back of especially trailer. They saw lots of loose nuts and bolts and elongated holes. Well I was back 6 months later with a loose receiver....for them to weld it in place.
I towed doubles with a 3500 lb bazz boat behind the Aljo 5th wheel trailer.
My next two 5th wheel rv trailer had custom fabed receivers welded in with more cross members and bracing for heavier trailers so I could tow doubles with my 7k flatbed/cargo trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
My son in law used these Safety Struts added to his rear bumper then bolted a receiver to the bumper to carry his cargo carrier,worked out very well.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rirish1
Explorer
Explorer
This is how I solved the problem. An adjustable receiver welded to my TT frame. I've hauled 2 bikes to Alaska and back as well as numerous other trips without problem. It is available on etrailer.com

Curt Adjustable Trailer Hitch Receiver - 18"-51" Wide - 2" Drop - Class III - 2"

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If you already have a hitch that works, go back to the welding shop and have it mounted the correct way. No worries.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:

***Mounting the rack in multiple places on the bumper could be enough to spread out the load and be a doable solution.***

Not a good solution: The carrier gets moved around from our cars to the camper- I am insistent on a receiver for the sake of convenience.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might be able to get some ideas from Lippert.
https://store.lci1.com/shop-by-department/cargo-storage/cargo.html

Mounting the rack in multiple places on the bumper could be enough to spread out the load and be a doable solution.

Good luck

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
SKroamcampgrounds wrote:
hey there! etrailer.com has lots of good kits and you can filter by type of vehicle and what you're looking to pull. hope this helps!

Edit: Ok, so far, this is not a great source for hitches that you mount on the camper- at least not the search feature. I am not giving up on them, and will dig deeper, but the "filter" set up is more about hitches that go on the tow vehicle.

Still curious if other folks have experience with this.

SKroamcampgroun
Explorer
Explorer
hey there! etrailer.com has lots of good kits and you can filter by type of vehicle and what you're looking to pull. hope this helps!