Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Full hook up?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Full hook up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I connect when needed and dump. I like to be able to leave if I want with minimal effort, and we rarely stay at the same place more than a night or two. Also, we don’t usually have full hookups. When we are at a campground, we frequently use the campgrounds bathroom and shower.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For sewer hookup I prefer use of Sewer Solution.
Much less mess to clean up at the end.
I keep black water tank closed, till I have it full or ready to leave, then hook up water hose to SS and dump black tank.
I also have short hose hooked up to SS injector, with valve on the end, so when time comes, it makes for white gloves job.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hook up the sewer only to dump, usually after about 5 days.

I notice that many campers hook up their sewer hoses upon arrival. I can't understand why anyone would do that.

On water: I like to use the unit's own water tank, topping it up as needed. That keeps the tank's water always fresh.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good insight for me. I normally don't go where there are hookups so it is a little foreign to me. Good things to consider like not leaving the tank open. I've learned from this thread. Appreciate it.

And, while I will use the campground bathrooms and showers, unless they are bad, the rest of the family may or may not. Just want to be prepared.

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Hook up sewer when you need it. I rarely even hook up water. I use my tank.

X2

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others, I rarely go to full hookup places. The few times I have, I will always hook up the power, but nothing else. With doing more sightseeing trips at national parks, etc, I will often break up the first and last day's drive with an overnight stay at a full hookup RV park, then dry camp at the national park. I may do a full hookup night midtrip if I have multiple destinations so I can recharge batteries, etc.

I use the water out of my tank and will only fill if I am midtrip and know I will need more water than the tank can hold AND the water at the park is decent tasting.

I only dump if there is enough to dump by the time I am ready to leave.

Why do all that extra setup and takedown if it's not needed?

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Where I like to camp - we need AC 24 hr a day.
When our lovely Honda 3000 can provide the power when we stop at rest areas, all dry campings have night generators restrictions.
Still with my senior pass, I am getting water and power camping in most beautiful places for $7 to 10.
Than when you go to prime areas, like TX shore, or Alaska, you have to pay to stay.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if on a site with sewer, we hook up and pull the gray tank so it drains all the time, but let black tank collect.

than a day before I leave I will shut the gray valve so I have something to flush the hose after I drain the black before leaving.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Where I like to camp - we need AC 24 hr a day.
When our lovely Honda 3000 can provide the power when we stop at rest areas, all dry campings have night generators restrictions.
Still with my senior pass, I am getting water and power camping in most beautiful places for $7 to 10.
Than when you go to prime areas, like TX shore, or Alaska, you have to pay to stay.

I get hooking up to electricity - why not use it since you are paying for it. But that's a quick plug in and unplug.

I just don't see the point of hooking up the sewer hose if it's not needed. Just seems like extra work and a potential tripping hazard.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

if on a site with sewer, we hook up and pull the gray tank so it drains all the time, but let black tank collect.

than a day before I leave I will shut the gray valve so I have something to flush the hose after I drain the black before leaving.

One of the mods Dad had me do to his 5th wheel was add a small drain about 3/4 up on his grey tank. Open 1 valve, could drain thru hose bib out to bushes, where allowed. Open another, and tied back into stinky slinky. This way he had 3/4 tank to run out behind the black.
If the grey got full before he planed to leave he would bucket some to black

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Full hook up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.