Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Full hook up?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Full hook up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some here make it sound like doing a full hook up at a FHU site takes forever! DH hooks up electric, then water, then sewer when we arrive at a campsite in less than 5 minutes, tops! We keep black tank closed until full, and the grey water open until last night, as another explained. Before we dump I fill the Black tank through the toilet completely to create a stronger flow when the tank is opened. DH does black first, then grey to help clear the hose. When he's done, I put toilet chemicals in and put about a gallon of water in the closed grey tank. He then unhooks the hose from the RV and rinses out the sewer hose again. It's not time consuming at all. We almost never travel with our water tank full. Water is very heavy (over 8 pounds a gallon!) and we just don't need the extra weight. We carry 2 gallons of water to use, if necessary, for the toilet or for drinking. If we arrive at a CG and don't like the taste of the water, I just get some bottled water at a store. Been doing this for over 45 years and it has always worked for us. We almost always stay at a traditional CG with at least W/E hookups. We dont boondoggle. DH is a disabled Vet so we can now camp in military campgrounds State Parks are our secondt option. Then private ones. We feel it is right to support campgrounds so they can stay in business, not be turned into housing developments! It's getting harder and harder to find a site - if many more CGs 'go under' there will be no place left. We are fortunate to be able to do this.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^This X 2.
East of the Mississippi you are not likely to drive down a BLM road and start camping. So, I'll take my COE campground and state parks with hook ups. And about May to October you will need A/C.
This "I never use hook ups" snobbery gets old.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

^This X 2.

For me that equals to "I don't shower"

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t boondoggle either. [emoticon] I do boondock sometimes. I don’t believe anyone can do hookups in 5 minutes unless they don’t wash their hands, and all of the compartments were already open. I do agree it won’t take that long.

I think the point was do you automatically connect everything or not. If I empty black when I am getting near full, what’s the point in hooking up for one night? We don’t use the toilet that much in a few hours. We bought the TC to be mobile, so rarely are we at one campground more than a day or two.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

It’s not snobbery. Campgrounds with full hookups aren’t always where I want to go.

As far as showers go, I’ve yet to stay at a campground with full hookups that doesn’t have showers.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

^This X 2.

For me that equals to "I don't shower"

I use the campground facilities to shower. I'd rather save my home-filled fresh tank water for drinking, cooking, etc, then use it up on showers and end up with crappy tasting water the rest of the trip.

The campgrounds I visit that don't have shower facilities have a creek or lake that I can wash off in - and those are for camping not sightseeing so it's not like I'm going out in public all smelly.

I rarely use hookups, but I don't think it makes me better than others. It's just what I prefer. Others prefer hookups - and I respect their choice.

That's why I like the variety of campgrounds and RV parks - there's something for everyone.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I use the campground facilities to shower. .

Yeah, RIGHT !
you have you bellowed TC with your own bathroom and having full hookups you go to public showers seeking diseases ?

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

It’s rvnet Kenny…
Some could make a 3 page discussion out of putting on your socks in the morning …

[emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

specta wrote:

Some of you make hooking up the sewer hose sound like it takes forever or its extremely difficult to do.

If you know you're going to use it why not just hook it up when you're setting everything else and be done with it??

Last time I had full hook ups it for three nights, showered every day and did the dishes. The only thing I hooked up to was the electricity.

I just dump and clean the tanks after I get back home.

It’s rvnet Kenny…
Some could make a 3 page discussion out of putting on your socks in the morning …

Edit, make it 4!!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

It’s rvnet Kenny…

Or a license plate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Full hook up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.