Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen "Solar Ready"- Lazy question.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Lazy post for quick answer:

I got the solar panel, the controller, all the right plugs and read the solar directions (BE SURE TO CONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST, AND THE PANEL SECOND).

So, I plug in the controller to a Forrest River Travel Trailer and the controller does not come on. (Yes, I pushed and held the button).

The lazy question: Are there some connections that need to be made "inside the camper" to connect the "Solar Ready" plug to the batteries.

Unfortunately I am away from the camper- I need to confirm if there is/isn't power to the port (possibly my plug isn't connecting), and I am digging on internet manuals for additional info- but didn't stumble on a quick answer.

Simple question- do you normally have to connect the solar plug "inside the camper" or is it "always" pre-wired?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
After additional research- I'm thinking there's two possibilities.

1. Saw a video that suggested that solar plugs were often wired backwards to support a scam that "you must only use OUR solar systems, as others won't work".

2. Some suggestions here that the plug is not really connected to the batteries.

3. Yeah, need to get to the camper with my electric tester.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the wire is of adequate size.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It just means there are wires. They are not connected at the battery end. Mine were to the roof via fridge vent from the battery compartment and were #10 wire. At the battery box there was coil of wire.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.