Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Lost dust caps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lost dust caps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is very nice, but the average Joe is not going to have either your experience, or your tools to do the job in that short amount of time. Advising someone to go ahead and have the brakes inspected because it only takes 15 minutes to do it yourself is not quite accurate advice in my opinion.

While the advice to do the inspection is sound and good advice, I think the time estimate is completely unrealistic for the average person and is where I differed from your opinion. Thanks for the clarification.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Snip...
Takes a whole 10-15 minutes to pull the bearings and drums and clean out the old grease and refresh with new grease...Snip....

WOW! You work a whole lot faster than I do!!!! [emoticon]
Barney

I have the routine down to a science, jack up in the correct place and you can lift both axles on one side at the same time. I also make use of air tools to remove the lug nuts, makes for very quick work

I do that twice per yr since I have not only a travel trailer but a 18ft flatbed trailer both with dual axles. Takes me a whole hr for all four drums on each trailer.

PA requires a trailer safety inspection once per yr, one of the requirements is the mechanic must pull a drum on each side and inspect the brake shoes condition.

Instead of waiting to get surprised with a failed inspection I suck it up and pull them and verify the condition myself before hauling the trailer to the inspection station.

Being proactive has saved me a few trips over the years and paying for a failed inspection.

IMHO, even for a pro, with all the equipment, 15 minutes is pretty quick. I spend about half that much time just cleaning and inspecting the bearings if they're good.
Working on my camper, I make it a point to use only tools in the rig. If I ever had to do it on the road I know I may not have my best tools, but I have tools that can work.
1 trick I learned to save time is the first step when you get it apart is clean the inside of hub. You will almost certainly will re-use it. And cleaning it you will clean the races. And once the races are clean a bad spot is easy to see. And if you see a bad place on a race, no reason to clean the bearing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lost dust caps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.