cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using a Curt Echo brake controller?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am interested in any information from people using the Curt Echo trailer brake controller.

Curt Echo
26 REPLIES 26

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Something to think about, and maybe you have..
But if the vehicle did NOT have a 7 pin on the back. It does NOT have the towing package. You would need to add that as well. Meaning a external trans cooler at the very least, and a full size spare.

I would first add a real trans temp gauge, not a dummy gauge, to see what the trans temp does.
Likely you will find you need an extra trans cooler, but maybe not depending on the size of trailer and your driving habits and how many hills you encounter.
I would want a temp gauge anyway to know when or if to back off.
Always try to keep your torque converter in a locked state, this relates a lot to driving habits too.

I'm just saying if he had to install a 7 pin. there is a HIGH possibility the vehicle does NOT have the towing package. Fords with the towing package have 7 pins from the factory, and a wiring harness under the dash for a brake controler, and a trans cooler.
If you are towing a trailer that is so light, you don't need a trans cooler, then it is also so light it doesn't need a brake controler either.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

But if the vehicle did NOT have a 7 pin on the back. It does NOT have the towing package. You would need to add that as well. Meaning a external trans cooler at the very least, and a full size spare.

I would first add a real trans temp gauge, not a dummy gauge, to see what the trans temp does.
Likely you will find you need an extra trans cooler, but maybe not depending on the size of trailer and your driving habits and how many hills you encounter.
I would want a temp gauge anyway to know when or if to back off.
Always try to keep your torque converter in a locked state, this relates a lot to driving habits too.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dalekstephens wrote:
I have a 2021 single axle custom 12.6X6.6 ATV trailer and it is towed with a 2018 Explorer. The explorer comes with a easy way to install the 7 way plug but not so easy way to run the wiring under the dash for the controller. I went with the echo wireless unit for this reason only, the cost difference was only around $100 and saved me a few hrs running wires. With the trailer unloaded, you can feel it activate when I step on the brake. With the trailer loaded, it is very smooth. I do not need the controller when the trailer is unloaded, I was just testing it. Very easy to set up, take 30 seconds. I really like that it works from any phone that has the app downloaded so anyone in the family can use it from their phone. Well worth the investment.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dalekstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 single axle custom 12.6X6.6 ATV trailer and it is towed with a 2018 Explorer. The explorer comes with a easy way to install the 7 way plug but not so easy way to run the wiring under the dash for the controller. I went with the echo wireless unit for this reason only, the cost difference was only around $100 and saved me a few hrs running wires. With the trailer unloaded, you can feel it activate when I step on the brake. With the trailer loaded, it is very smooth. I do not need the controller when the trailer is unloaded, I was just testing it. Very easy to set up, take 30 seconds. I really like that it works from any phone that has the app downloaded so anyone in the family can use it from their phone. Well worth the investment.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
Our point is wireless connections can and do fail.

safe travels and stay in front of me.

Good thing that a wireless connection is not required for the brake controller to function. Do you really think manufacturers would be that short sighted?

and no, you stay out in front of me.

Just a follow-up question, if you hard wire a controller under your dash there is typically a 25A or 30A dedicated circuit just to apply the brakes ( that's why the Blue wire is so thick).
Where do these magic wireless controllers get power to apply the brakes? Piggyback from the charging circuit? or the lights? Do you add a jumper under the dash to use the OEM trailer brake circuit? How do you apply just the trailer brakes if you needed them in a hurry?

I think I'll stay behind you after further review.

Wired connections can and do fail also!

The ECHO can operate without the phone, and does it very nicely. There is no requirement for modifying the existing trailer plug wiring and the brakes still work. If I want the ability to manually control the brakes, I turn on my phone, pull up the ECHO app, and press a "button" on the screen, and the brakes turn on. I can control the amount of brake and/or set up a program to control the rate of application, (i.e. SMOOTH). While driving, I can watch the phone and see how the brake controller is working, when and how much the brakes are being applied. But, to repeat, the phone is not a necessary accessory. The ECHO also works independently of the phone if the phone is not there, and uses the program that is loaded into the controller. It really is a very neat system.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Mike134 wrote:

Good thing that a wireless connection is not required for the brake controller to function. Do you really think manufacturers would be that short sighted?

You can get a Prodigy P-3 for well under $200.00. And it is plug and play, and easily transferable from one vehicle to another. Just unplug it, and plug it into the next vehicle you are using.

Pluss it has the reputation as the best after market inertia, based, proportional brake controler on the market. Smooth as silk. You don't even know it is there.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Mike134 wrote:

Just a follow-up question, if you hard wire a controller under your dash there is typically a 25A or 30A dedicated circuit just to apply the brakes ( that's why the Blue wire is so thick).
Where do these magic wireless controllers get power to apply the brakes? Piggyback from the charging circuit? or the lights? Do you add a jumper under the dash to use the OEM trailer brake circuit? How do you apply just the trailer brakes if you needed them in a hurry?

I think I'll stay behind you after further review.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike134 wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
$280. yikes. for a jerk-n-go controller? No. Are you the worlds laziest, or the worlds less mechanical driver?

Is this for a small trailer that if you lost the brakes it won't matter?

For $220 at etrailer you can get a really really nice proportional wired brake controller that you absolutely will never feel. It brakes as hard or as soft as the truck does. AND it is wired in.

How hard is it going to be to wire your vehicle for brakes? How much does the local Uhaul guy charge to do the labor? How often do you buy/sell tow vehicles?

Im not here to advise you on this product, but to advise you to get a proportional controller instead.

I have 3 vehicles I use to tow. 1 X $280 vs 3 X $220 ? ECHO really makes sense for me! Glad I bought it! Oh, and it works perfectly!

Our Travel Blog

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
I have trouble with my bluetooth radio staying connected on some days.

that's just my 2 cents

This is my concern. I don't lose my BT connection to my truck too often but it does happen. BT uses 2.4 ghz, which a lot of other things do as well. Too many things can interfere with a wireless signal and trailer brakes are too critical for me to ever be comfortable with BT.

I have an ECHO, and it works fine with my Iphone, BUT, I can leave my Iphone at home, and still tow my trailer, and it works fine, with NO blue tooth at all! Losing the BT connection would be a total non-event.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Mike134 wrote:

that's just my 2 cents

This is my concern. I don't lose my BT connection to my truck too often but it does happen. BT uses 2.4 ghz, which a lot of other things do as well. Too many things can interfere with a wireless signal and trailer brakes are too critical for me to ever be comfortable with BT.

I have an ECHO, and it works fine with my Iphone, BUT, I can leave my Iphone at home, and still tow my trailer, and it works fine, with NO blue tooth at all! Losing the BT connection would be a total non-event.

Our Travel Blog

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
$280. yikes. for a jerk-n-go controller? No. Are you the worlds laziest, or the worlds less mechanical driver?

Is this for a small trailer that if you lost the brakes it won't matter?

For $220 at etrailer you can get a really really nice proportional wired brake controller that you absolutely will never feel. It brakes as hard or as soft as the truck does. AND it is wired in.

How hard is it going to be to wire your vehicle for brakes? How much does the local Uhaul guy charge to do the labor? How often do you buy/sell tow vehicles?

Im not here to advise you on this product, but to advise you to get a proportional controller instead.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
Mike134 wrote:

that's just my 2 cents

Agree. And a Prodigy, or P3 is plug, and play. Takes about 5 min to install
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:

that's just my 2 cents

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)