Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Check in/out timing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Check in/out timing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to think about...

This summer, like no previous one I can remember virtually every CG/RV Park is booked up well in advance. Most CG's and RV Parks have fairly standard checkin/out times. Typically check in is around 1 or 2 with mandatory check out an hour or two earlier. There are however two different sets of circumstances that folks should consider.

If you are just arriving and checking in to the CG/Park give them a call and usually if your site is empty they will have no problem with you arriving "a little" early. Keep in mind most decent CG/Parks want the opportunity to check and service your site as needed. Some RV Parks will charge about $10 for an early check in and a few will not permit it at all, their park, their rules.

Now as to checking out keep in mind that the check out time is not when you start prepping the rig for departure, that is the time when they need you to be gone, as in down the road.
If you need a later check out it's best to give them as much notice as possible when you "Ask" permission to do so.

We were recently at a busy CG and the staff went out of their way to accommodate as many folks as possible. We had to move twice during our 4 night stay and for us having a 24' Class C this could not have been much simpler. But... if you are moving to another site they HAVE to gone by check out {in this case 1100} so that you can vacate your site on time making room for whoever is moving in behind you. If you are still in my newly assigned site at 1100 someone is probably stacked up waiting for me to be gone and overflow parking if available at all will be at a premium.

On our last day the site we were moving to was open at 1030 and I slid right in. As I was setting up the guy in the site next to us came over and said "you're early". I explained that I had to move in as soon as it opened up so someone else could have mine. I had stayed completely away from the new site so as to not put any pressure on those folks to leave. He was leaving that day but didn't begin his departure routine until after 1100.

IMHO: Once the check out time arrives the site you are in is no longer yours and you need to be gone unless other arrangements have been made.

I spoke with the staff and they confirmed that the folks who are late departing or arrive too early without calling first can cause all sorts of needless headaches. They don't want to be bad guys for anyone and truly appreciate folks who understand and comply with their check in/out times.

So for the sake of discussion I'll ask... Have you ever arrived at your reserved site at the proper check in only to find it fully occupied? How long did you have to wait? Did asking the offending party to move along work or was it necessary to get the staff involved?

As always... Opinions and YMMV

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/18/21 03:48pm by Desert Captain *

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say NO, and in this day and age I wouldn't dare approach someone still on the site assigned to me for fear of needing some self-defense.
It's the park/campground responsibility not mine.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“As I was setting up the guy in the site next to us came over and said "you're early".”

That guy needs something else to do.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You sound like you manage RV parks..heh.
We've run into a couple of parks that had 10AM check out which we thought was a bit unreasonable. And you should be aware that many if not all COE camps have 3PM checkin times and late checkouts, 1 or 2 PM.

I cannot say that we've found most camps to be full, a few are but most seem to be half full at most. We camps at a park right on the gulf a few weeks ago and it had 6 or 8 empty places in a very small park. An one on Gulf Shores, a big park, that was maybe 20% full for example.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go to public dry campgrounds, not RV parks or private campgrounds so my experience is colored by that.

I have never arrived with my reserved site occupied.
I have never had the next occupant arrive while I was still at the site.

If arriving on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday, I try to make sure I don't arrive before 2 pm as campgrounds are full and I don't want to come in while others are trying to get out. Even if my site is empty, the weekend exodus can make the campround roads crowded.

If there is a reserved tag behind mine (showing that someone has the site reserved the day I leave) I try to get out by checkout time. If it is not reserved and it is midweek, then I may stay up until checkin time. This has never been a problem. But I am careful to check on the campground's occupancy - if it will be crowded, I get out earlier to again avoid the crowded roads.

One time, upon arriving at my campsite, a couple said "oh, we were hoping you wouldn't arrive yet. We wanted to get a photo of us at the water." I explained to them that my campsite didn't extend that far, pointed out the boundaries, and told them they were quite welcome to take their photos. That's the only " arrival issue" I've had.

One time, on a Saturday morning a 5er setup next to me. They were completely unpacked by about 11:30 am. A bit after 2 pm, a large trailer arrived and I heard a lot of back and forth and saw the camphost come over. Apparently, the 5er just "took" the reserved waterfront spot knowing it wasn't theirs. They arrived early so that they would be fully unpacked by the time the rightful camper arrived. The rightful camper ended up taking another non-waterfront site to avoid a big fight. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to let my selected site go that easily. Especially as the crashers knew what they were doing.

If it were simply a case of the previous occupant hanging out later, I'd first talk to them and see what was going on. Maybe they had a problem - engine trouble, missing kid, injury, etc. If it was an ongoing problem, I'd try to be sympathetic and understanding and work with them. If it was just that they wanted to squeeze in as much time as possible, I'd give them 30 minutes to pack up and head out before bringing in the camphost AS LONG AS there was an overflow area for me to park in.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One should never "assume" that someone is "late" vacating a campsite, folks often pay for an additional "night" stay just so they do not have to be rushed to pack up in the morning.

Double booking can also happen which may pit you against the folks already in the spot that you were given.. Mistakes can happen.

Leave the "assumptions" and "policing" of the campground sites to the campground owner/management to deal with.

Much bigger issues in this world to deal with than fighting over a small rented plot of land..

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer OP: yes, I've arrived a couple of times, perhaps near check-in time, to find the previous occupant still there.
I parked up, and waited them out. No sense in raising a ruckus.
If they had not departed in a somewhat timely manner, my next stop would be the CG office.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“As I was setting up the guy in the site next to us came over and said "you're early".”

That guy needs something else to do.

Gdetrailer wrote:

One should never "assume" that someone is "late" vacating a campsite, folks often pay for an additional "night" stay just so they do not have to be rushed to pack up in the morning.

Double booking can also happen which may pit you against the folks already in the spot that you were given.. Mistakes can happen.

Leave the "assumptions" and "policing" of the campground sites to the campground owner/management to deal with.

Much bigger issues in this world to deal with than fighting over a small rented plot of land..

I agree with this. Unless you are the leaver or the comer, stay out of it. To start questioning what other campers are doing is just taking the fast lane to a miserable life.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I have never arrived with my reserved site occupied.
I have never had the next occupant arrive while I was still at the site.

I think this is most likely on a first-come first-served camp, often Federal camps. People will often arrive very early at a park hoping to grab a free site as soon as it is vacated. They are scanning the whole campground not one particular site tho.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never had someone not leave on time, we did have someone on our site because they liked it better and just took the already registered to us site. We did not say anything to them and let the campground managers deal with it. The people were very nasty, we stayed out of the way while they moved.
Another time check-out time was 1:00. We decided that morning that we would leave around 12:30. Around 10:00 a vehicle and camper parked on the road in front of our site. They asked us when we were leaving. When we told them, they said we needed to leave because they were ready for our site. We told them we were sorry and went for our bike ride. They got their chairs out and just sat facing our camper. I think we ended up leaving around 11:30. I just got tired of all their drama.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Check in/out timing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.